PDA

View Full Version : 70 years this evening

kcw
04-03-2015, 09:25
It was 70 years ago this evening that my mother's 1st cousin, Sergeant Carlton E. Petrie of Hamburg NY was mortally wounded in Germany. He was a paratrooper/gliderman with the 681st GFAB, 17thAB. His last letter home, dated 01APR45, describes his experience in the opening hours of Operation Varsity . Being pulled up off a French airstrip in a Waco Glider containing himself, two other sergeants and their 75mm gun. He described watching other gliders catch fire from incendiary rounds the moment they crossed over the Rhine. He complimented the glider pilot on his successful landing, but unfortunately they ended up in front of a German machine gun, ultimately he was the only person to get away alive. Parts of the well written letter read like something out of "Saving Private Ryan".
The family was filled on the basic details of his death. What's recently of interest is that several months ago I happened the "Unit Historical Record" (AKA: the Day Report?) for the 681stGFAB dated 3APRIL45 online. Somebody was offering these supposedly original reports for sale. I'm guessing that the U.S. government is digitalizing the old archives and is subsequently getting rid of the paper? The records from a number of outfits were available. Anyone else aware of this going on?
Anyway, the report, in part, reads: "One pocket of enemy resistance persisted in the woods west of Munster and one in the woods north of Munster. During the PM, 775th (FA Regt) was withdrawn. About 1800 the BN sent a recon party up to the new position area north of Munster. Parties were fired upon by a direct laying of an 88mm gun. Tec 5 Mulhellen was killed, Sgt. Petrie seriously injured, Tec 5 Gruszka lightly wounded, all men from "B" Btry". Carlton died the following day and is buried at Margraten, Netherlands.
The family has long known that he was killed as result of a the run in with the 88. Apparently the recon party had been advised to be on the lookout for the gun and they came across it, covered & mounted on a RR flatcar. It appear to be unmanned, but as they advanced upon it over open farm land, a group of men in civilian dress suddenly appeared and readied it for action. The patrol also came under small arms fire. The only cover that the patrol had nearby was a large, stone barn, but when they got to it, the door was found secured by a hasp lock.
As it just so happens, this evening my family. along with that of several of my cousins, will meet for the final Friday night fish fry of the Lenten season. I've arranged for a special toast to our long lost 2nd cousin.