PDA

View Full Version : Iron sights for sporterized Model of 1917

Critch
04-01-2015, 06:49
When my brother-in-law passed away he left me a Model of 1917 that he sporterized. He did a great job on it. It has a nice Fajen walnut stock, he had the metal completely re-blued, very good work. I still hunt with this rifle but it doesn't have iron sights, scope only.

Who makes some iron sights, front and rear that would look good on it? I'm inclined toward a gold front bead, similar to what Model 70 Winchesters used to have. I would go with a rear peep, but I want to leave the option open to leave the scope on it if need be.

I don't see much out there but Firesights etc...

Give me some ideas folks.

jaie5070
04-01-2015, 07:45
Pick up a Midway catalog. They have all kinds of iron sights.
john

madsenshooter
04-01-2015, 10:03
Upon occasion I see Pacific receiver sights for the 1917 on ebay. Fit depends on how the receiver was modified when it was sporterized.

M1Garandy
04-01-2015, 10:44
I have a couple of vintage Lyman or Redfield band type ramp front sights with interchangeable blades that need a new home. They might work for you if the barrel hasn't been cut back much.

Art
04-01-2015, 04:53
Williams Foolproof and 5D receiver sights are an excellent option. I have a Foolproof on my SMLE sporter and like it very much I also had a Marlin 39A I put a 5D on and it worked extremely well also (the Marlin was drilled and tapped for the sight at the factory.) Williams also makes a wide variety of ramp front sights.

kcw
04-02-2015, 06:35
Williams Foolproof and 5D receiver sights are an excellent option. I have a Foolproof on my SMLE sporter and like it very much I also had a Marlin 39A I put a 5D on and it worked extremely well also (the Marlin was drilled and tapped for the sight at the factory.) Williams also makes a wide variety of ramp front sights.

I have a Remington M1917, the receiver of which has been reconfigured to that of the commercial Remington model 30. It has the Williams 5D rear sight. The rifle was sported to Model 30 standards, other than the stripper guides remain intact. In the past I've used this rifle in NRA "Sporter" completion with a Williams target aperture installed in the 5D. I commonly use it for deer hunting with a larger holed ap installed, or even with no aperture installed if I'm hunting close cover. The 5D is not as readily adjustable has the Williams "Foolproof" but I'm not one to change adjustment often anyway, rather I use adjust my sight picture in those rare instances when I need to reach out another 100 yds. past what I'm zeroed for.

Critch
04-06-2015, 06:47
My brother came up over the weekend and brought an assortment of front and rear sights he had squirreled away. Two of the Williams rear sights and 3 of the front ramps will fit my rifle. The contours work out real well. He is looking for a gunsmith around Memphis that can install them.

I may have a line on a Williams rear micrometer type peep sight....but the guy can't find it just yet...but that's not my first choice anyway.

It's a beautiful old rifle. My brother in law bought it in the 60s and every time he brought it up to Missouri at deer season, he had done a little more work on it. He would often leave it for me to hunt with as he generally only got to hunt the first weekend. A gunsmith named Ed Mason in Memphis did most of the work, Ed was a top notch gunsmith. The blueing and woodwork are superb. It's a heavy rifle in comparison to many but not overly so.

Bob S
06-20-2015, 11:59
If you want a contemporary receiver sight, the Lyman 48RS or 48R would be the one. They pop up on The 'Bay every now and again. HOld on to you checkbook, though ...

Respectfully,
Bob S.

Col. Colt
06-20-2015, 11:08
Redfield made a good reciever sight "back in the day", too. CC