PDA

View Full Version : some help with part markings please

duke133
03-28-2015, 10:56
I broke down an Underwood and tooks some pics of some of the parts. Can someone tell me who made then? Also, did Underwood stamp the ord. bomb by the cocking handle throughout their manufacturing?
Thanks.

Underwood
03-28-2015, 12:03
Duke, the T-4 safety with the M inside a horse shoe was made by McCollough Co., (not the chain saw people). The hammer appears to have an IBM marking. W on the sear would be Winchester. I'm not familiar with the markings on the slide or the recoil plate.

Jim

Tuna
03-28-2015, 07:00
Recoil plate is a late war/post war replacement. Underwood did stamp the ordnance bomb on the early to mid production slides and on other things too. What letters are stamped in the slide well?

duke133
03-29-2015, 07:47
Tuna,
Here's the slide well. The rear of the receiver also has the ordnance bomb stamp.

duke133
03-29-2015, 07:50
Underwood,
Thanks for the info.

Tuna
03-29-2015, 08:12
Yes Underwood and an early one at that. Many early slides were changed to later versions when carbines went through rebuilding.

duke133
03-29-2015, 08:31
I find it interesting the rifle retains the early slide and some other Underwood parts but has the late bayo mount (type 4?) and other rebuild parts including an adjustable shield H rear sight but they left the 2 rivet hand guard marked with a small IN and then a larger LW-B. The bolt is .U. flat and it has a .U. trigger. I guess if the rifle did not require replacement of certain parts they just left it alone??

Tuna
03-29-2015, 06:50
It all depends on who and where the carbine went for a rebuild. Some late carbines went in, were checked, stamped on the stock and back out they went with nothing done to them. Others were completely rebuilt. Some that went through the old DCM program had early carbines that nothing was done to them, some carbines just had the rear sight changed and others got the full treatment. No real reason as to why some were done and some were not. Luck of the draw as to what one got when ordered from DCM. Does your Underwood bolt have a hole in the bottom of it?

duke133
03-31-2015, 05:09
Tuna,
Where would I look for a hole? Not sure I understand. Are you talking about the bolt?
Thanks.
D

Tuna
03-31-2015, 08:42
Yes the bolt. Underwood did use the type 3 round bolt at the tail end of production but they also had a contract from about 1948 to make new type 3 bolts. These bolts have a hole on the bottom of the bolt. Some call it a drain hole and others say it's an oil hole for the firing pin. These were for rebuilding carbines and underwood made them into about 1950 or so if I remember right. The bolts are marked with a U.

duke133
04-01-2015, 07:23
Tuna,
I made a mistake. The bolt is a flat and not rounded.
D