PDA

View Full Version : Long Lee Enfield MLE 1897

NavyFrank
03-26-2015, 04:59
I was lucky enough to find a Lee Speed Patented MLE made by BSA Co. Rifle was a commercial rifle Sold through WW Greener serial number on barrel receiver bolt and firing pin. Rifle is devoid of proof marks except top of barrel has the Greener crossed flags with B and a E above that. Only thing missing is the rear volley sight which I know will be a tough find. Military rifle would be a MLE Mk 1 Thanks for your time.
frank Jr.

Art
03-26-2015, 06:09
Is your rifle in military configuration or is it a sporter based on the Lee action?? Either way it's a sweet find.

Fred
03-27-2015, 09:06
Pictures?
Welcome to the forum!

John Sukey
03-27-2015, 11:18
There has to be a proof mark somewhere on the rifle. ALL firearms made in the U.K. MUST pass through the Birmingham proof house

NavyFrank
03-27-2015, 01:06
The rifle is in military configuration as a MLE Mk 1 except the rear sight is adjustable. This an option listed in the WWGreener catalog. Only "proof" mark is on the left side of the front of the receiver this is a crossed pikes with a crown on top and a V on the bottom. Finish on rifle is a commercial blue. I will try for some photos. Since this rifle was sold through a commercial retailer like WW Greener I would like to see if they still have records.