PDA

View Full Version : 70 years ago today... USS Franklin (CV-13)

Michael Tompkins
03-19-2015, 03:27
Ok, I thought that I would take the time to honor a special friend and personal hero, William Vaughn.

On this date, March 19th, 1945, a simple act of kindness and friendship proves to be the difference between life and death.

William was an aviation machinest aboard the USS Franklin (CV-13). On this morning he is getting ready to head to chow. He will have to descend below deck to get in line for the mess. A friend from another section allows him to cut in line in front of him and saves him the trip of descending two more levels where his section is. This proves to be the difference...

Moments later, a single Japanese dive-bomber drops two bombs that penetrate the carrier's deck igniting gasoline stores and ammunition. Several hundred seamen are killed almost instantly, to include Williams friend's who were standing in the chow line two levels below.
Over 800 men were ultimately killed and almost 500 were wounded. William was one of about 400 who stayed on the ship to fight fires and rescue crew members. It is a story of incredible survival and bravery. Later on, William was also part of the parties tasked with recovering the remains of his fellow crew members.

I ran into him the other day at the super-market and we talked for a while. He is in his early 90's and doesn't get around as well as he used to, but it was good to see him out. I reminded him of approach of the 70th aniversary and he reminded me that there isn't a day that goes by that he doesn't think about what happened. He also reminded me that he was awful lucky to be standing there talking to me.

William Vaughn, I salute you this day...and honestly, everyday.

ebeeby
03-19-2015, 05:31
Salute!

Dan Shapiro
03-21-2015, 02:16
:icon_salut::icon_salut:

Col. Colt
04-03-2015, 06:29
Great story - and shows how life can turn on a very small kindness. Thanks for sharing, and best wishes to your friend. CC