PDA

View Full Version : Dick Hosner

dave
03-19-2015, 12:29
Check out "Gun Action" site. #13248745. Is this legit? No bids, start at 17,500.00 for a carbine?

Dick Hosmer
03-19-2015, 02:58
Yes, that is a correct description of the model. They are very rare, since few were made, and they all saw hard use in the trials.

Gun appears to be what he says it is, and 100% legit, right down to the proper narrow elevation slide on the sight ladder. Lockplate dates vary, most seem to be "1865" but that is not an ironclad rule.

I'll be interested in seeing if it sells at that price.

Kragrifle
03-20-2015, 05:15
Dick
I am pretty sure the rear sight is for a rifle. The slide is not the thinner carbine slide. Can't see the numbers to be sure about the leaf.

Dick Hosmer
03-20-2015, 08:03
You are absolutely right. I was at work and in a bit of a hurry and did not look at all of the pictures - it looks almost correct (at least at first glance) in #5 but definitely not in #3. The real clue is in the text - carbine ladders only go to "7", not "9". If one were to be able to handle the gun, and measure the slide, I do think we might find it had been thinned a little, however.

After a closer look, that is the only fault that I can see - subject to a hands-on inspection to pull the band, mike the muzzle, check the band (looks a little thick, perhaps) inspect the bar inletting, etc.

Condition isn't the greatest, and it appears to have been aggressively cleaned as well, but that is not a gun that one can be too picky about.

He is probably high on the price, but we will see what happens - some day I will have to sell mine :-(

Fortunately, I obtained mine (which I think is a bit nicer) many years ago. It has what has to be a field-repaired front sight, since no attempt was made to make it look "collector-right", and every other part of the gun is absolutely without question or reproach, in any way.

Fred
03-20-2015, 10:36
That's a pretty sharp looking example you've got Dick!

Sportsdad60
03-22-2015, 04:57
That's a pretty sharp looking example you've got Dick!

Agree!
Been looking for the right one to add to my collection. Tough to find a non-parts rifle or shortened-barrel type!