PDA

View Full Version : NZ based Eddystone update.

adrianbnz
03-14-2015, 02:22
Ok, so I finally got the head space checked with some rental gauges and confirmed what I already suspected. With a stripped down bolt the rifle swallowed a FIELD gauge with absolutely no help on the bolt handle from me. I just got the barrel and action back from a gunsmith who ran a reamer up the muzzle using a lathe and squared the original "ugly" counter bore up. Test fired the rifle today and unfortunately it was no better which tells me the barrel is worse than I originally thought. Probably done its dash and will now look at getting a replacement Criterion barrel fitted. Have sources here in NZ who can supply them.
Would rather have a more expensive 'shooter' than an expensive wallhanger!

Actually, if anyone is interested, here is what 1917s sell for in this neck of the woods.[NZ$1 is US73cents]. Trademe [your Ebay] auctions last 7 days and one Eddystone with original barrel sold for NZ$812, another with possible original sling and near new Criterion barrel NZ$766. I paid NZ$670 for mine at a live Militaria auction but by the time I pay the attempted repair to the counterbore which looked pretty good compared to the original and fit a new barrel this old girl is going to owe me close to NZ$1200. YEP! i'm hurting.

I justify this because I have 3 options. 1. Put it back to auction and let it be someone else's problem. 2. It can be a $670 prop in my safe, or 3. Re barrel it and get my jollys burning powder and actually hit where I'm aiming.
Option 1: I'm not an a..hole, 2 whats the point, so 3 is a no brainer! At least it will give off a golden halo everytime I shoot it lol.

I guess that is the downside of auctions. You can't test fire and it is very much 'caviet emptor' and there is no accounting for some vendors lack of honesty!

Cheers from NZ
Adrian

Another Eddystone with original barrel just went for NZ$800. 3/16/15

RC20
03-17-2015, 08:44
Sorry to hear that, I was lucky, out of the number I got only one was less than good and it was at least ok. More collectible as its a Danish return so offset things

adrianbnz
03-17-2015, 10:41
Sorry to hear that, I was lucky, out of the number I got only one was less than good and it was at least ok. More collectible as its a Danish return so offset things

Ah well, it has a really nice stock so will be a thing of beauty when it's re barreled which is suprising considering the condition of the existing barrel. Was your Danish return counter bored?

PhillipM
03-18-2015, 03:42
I hate to mention it, but eating the field gauge could mean the bolt lugs or the receiver are worn. I'd try to borrow another bolt or a proper test bolt and recheck the head space.

adrianbnz
07-08-2016, 11:19
Finally July 2016 I have the Eddystone up and running. A long protracted exercise but pleased with how it all panned out. After waiting on a Criterion barrel since Feb 2015 I ran out of patience [May 2016] and contacted my gunsmith who had just got access to TSE barrels out of Australia. Barrel was in country 3 weeks after ordering and fitted a couple of weeks later. From a time point of view this was great, but from a cost point of view it was definitely more expensive! As the TSE barrel is a profiled blank only there is the added cost of cutting chamber, extractor groove, thread, and front sight groove plus blueing or parkerising [which I am leaving for the moment]. On the plus side I got rifling cut in 1/12 twist which I prefer for 30 cal but each to their own.

My bad in all this was not noticing the stock WAS actually warped causing it to shoot badly left which I managed to fix by clamping it in a jig and pouring boiling water on the offending section which straightened it out nicely.
Only wish I had checked it more thoroughly, like lying it both sides on a hard flat surface. Embarrassed that I posted the "stock looks ok". Trust me,if you suspect your stock is warped, sighting down the stock does not cut the mustard. Amazing how almost 100 year old seasoned wood can twist the barrel and action so much.Original barrel and action never felt like a tight or pinched fit, all went together fine. Run a fine string line from rear receiver bolt hole to centre of barrel channel at fore end. Gives a very accurate picture which shows immediately if your stock is warped! Both holes and channel should all line up dead centre.

I'm still happy I replaced the barrel as swollen cases and shoulders that looked like they had been attacked with a hammer and punch smacked of a bit more than slightly excessive head space!
After sanding out the barrel channel and applying a full coat of boiled linseed oil the rifle is looking real good. Shoots like it should now.

My gunsmith made a couple of interesting observations. [Did his apprenticeship in the US]
He has worked on plenty of P14s and M1917s and never yet seen one with bolt setback.
Barrel removal was easy as he uses a collet which allows the wrench to get a better surface grip on the barrel taper with no relief cut required. He thinks the idea that Eddystone used a pneumatic wrench that over tightened the barrels is just BS!
He's not a fan of internet forum rumour! haha.

Finally thanks to everyone who posted here or on my original "Issues" post. Really helped in eliminating or pinpointing possible fixes.

Cheers from NZ!
Regards
Adrian

Griff Murphey
07-14-2016, 06:27
Hello Adrian, I have an internet friend who shoots with the Wellington Service Rifle club (yup north island) and has 1917s and you might look him up, goes by the name Henry F. Interestingly he is the guy who holds up the stuff for auctions near him. He tells me about all of these interesting Kiwi courses of fire like application, Trinity, and "Kaitoke turnaround." He recently won the Bulls Eye Cup at the Charles Upham Memorial shoot and if I am not mistaken shot a 17. You guys seem to have a very lively high power rifle target hobby going. Henry says every surplus gun type in the world eventually winds up down there!

Glad to have you onboard!

adrianbnz
07-15-2016, 08:18
Hello Adrian, I have an internet friend who shoots with the Wellington Service Rifle club (yup north island) and has 1917s and you might look him up, goes by the name Henry F. Interestingly he is the guy who holds up the stuff for auctions near him. He tells me about all of these interesting Kiwi courses of fire like application, Trinity, and "Kaitoke turnaround." He recently won the Bulls Eye Cup at the Charles Upham Memorial shoot and if I am not mistaken shot a 17. You guys seem to have a very lively high power rifle target hobby going. Henry says every surplus gun type in the world eventually winds up down there!

Glad to have you onboard!

Hi Griff,
Thanks for your reply. There are 3 militaria auctions each year in Wellington [Wgtn] that I know of. Two are held by the same auctioneer and one by the NZAHAA which is on this weekend as it happens. I have a postal bid in for a M1917 bayonet so fingers crossed. I have not been to any of the Wgtn auctions since Oct 2014 which was when I got the Eddystone, but am planning on going again if not Oct this year then definately 2017! Next time I go I will ask after Henry and mention you to him if I find him. Auctions are held over two days and there are usually 1800+ lots, so there are some interesting pieces that have made their way to NZ that's for sure! My Eddystone had the CAI import marks on the barrel so it had been overseas at some stage before coming back into the US. I would love to know how it made its way here to NZ?! I shoot a mint No4 Mk1 'Longbranch' 303 as well amongst others.They are great old rifles. So much history the old milsurps.

Best Regards
Adrian

PhillipM
07-19-2016, 12:16
There was another NZ member here. Was it Vulch,or was he the Australian?