PDA

View Full Version : What's the best set up to get? New or used?

Jeff L
03-12-2015, 12:21
What is the best set up to get? Better to buy new or used?

I'm currently only 30-06, but will probably reload other rifle and pistol rounds in the future.

I'm just looking to avoid pit falls of getting the wrong set up. Please advise. TIA.

joem
03-12-2015, 03:17
I bought several really nice RCBS presses on Ebay. Look for the newer versions that have the black removable bushing on top so you can convert it to Loc&Load. It makes reloading much easier. There are other reloading items put there on auction sites. Get the price of new before you bid on stuff so you don't over pay. Factor in shipping in your cost.

Tuna
03-12-2015, 05:35
Joe, I have to disagree with you about the newer RCBS vs the older ones. The older ones are 100% made in the USA and the newer ones the castings are made in China. RCBS has had a lot of problems with the newer presses as they sometimes have voids in the casting and the press breaks. I have many thousands of rounds through my 42 year old RCBS Rock Crusher and it's still going strong.

Jeff L
03-12-2015, 07:41
So RCBS over Hornady?

tmark
03-12-2015, 07:41
I have the inexpensive Lee Turret Press I mounted on treated 2 by sixes. I think I paid $79 for the complete press circa 1980. I have reloaded thousands of rounds of 06 with it. Lee will stand by their equipment and replace damaged or broken parts (even it it is your fault) free of charge.

I'd prefer a press not made in China. RCBS is another great outfit.

I'd call Lee to make sure their products are still made in USA and buy new rather than used.

Litt'le Lee
03-12-2015, 07:54
get a rockcrusher II or older that will never wear out--the smaller the press the harder to resize 06-I've sent stuff back to RCBS for repair and they never charge-Lee
stuff doesn't hold out-except their dies

Matt Anthony
03-13-2015, 02:49
Redding, Hornady, and RCBS offer medium duty presses that will never wear out. RCBS is still the strongest and any propblems with Chinese air pockets have been corrected. Sinclair has a pricy one, and it is quite nice.
New is the best in response to your question, warranty and newer designs and upgrades always give you an edge.
Matt

Major Tom
03-13-2015, 04:11
I will buy used RCBS Rock Chucker presses. I will not buy used scales or dies.

joem
03-13-2015, 07:17
Joe, I have to disagree with you about the newer RCBS vs the older ones. The older ones are 100% made in the USA and the newer ones the castings are made in China. RCBS has had a lot of problems with the newer presses as they sometimes have voids in the casting and the press breaks. I have many thousands of rounds through my 42 year old RCBS Rock Crusher and it's still going strong.

The RCBS presses I bought off Ebay were the older ones I guess. They are solid and I doubt they will ever break. I also have a older Hornady Loc&^Load press that gets a real workout, so much so that the toggle wore out. Hornady replaced it N/C. I have a Lee "O" frame press that is cast pot metal. The links broke pretty quick. It's now used for bullet sizing.

dave
03-13-2015, 12:45
I have an older Rock Chucker (new at the time and a Lee progressive which I turn by hand as the auto index was for sh*t). Use the Lee for pistol and the RCBS for rifle. No problems with either. Lee is also an older one, new at the time.

Hefights
03-13-2015, 08:20
The Rock Chucker is the gold standard for a heavy duty, long lasting basic, beginners or mainstay single stage. Mine has been going strong for years, and I still load several calibers on it.

Another press I have for high accuracy ammo is the Bonanza COAX, which has an advantage of excellent alignment of cases into the die, and some nice features.

Sunray
03-14-2015, 10:46
RCBS' warrantee covers used RCBS kit. Other manufacturers warrantees do not.
Do not buy ANYTHING on E-Bay. They fund the people who want to take your firearms away from you.

Parashooter
03-14-2015, 12:28
RCBS' warrantee covers used RCBS kit.

Not any more, unless you're the original purchaser. Here's the current info from RCBS -

Limited Lifetime Warranty

Reloading Press, Die, Manual Case Trimmer or Bullet Mould

Your reloading press, reloading die, manual case trimmer or bullet mould is warranted to be free from defects in material or workmanship for as long as the original owner owns it. This warranty is extended only to the original consumer purchaser. This warranty excludes any electrical components or products. All RCBS products are intended for non-commercial use by hobbyists. Any other use of these products will void the warranty. Should you believe that your reloading press, die, manual case trimmer or bullet mould is defective in material or workmanship, you must return the reloading press, reloading die, manual case trimmer or bullet mould to Ammunition Accessories Inc. through its Oroville operation (hereinafter "Oroville Operations") postage paid for evaluation. If defective, the product will be repaired or replaced at Oroville Operations' option, at no charge.

Send a dated proof of purchase to Oroville Operations along with the product information and reason for return to:

Ammunition Accessories Inc., Oroville Operations
605 Oro Dam Blvd
Oroville, California 95965

Warranty services cannot be provided without meeting the above requirements.

Allen
03-14-2015, 03:54
What can go wrong with a press, especially one that will not get a lot of use? If money is an object go with a used RCBS Rockchucker or even the Junior for 50-$100 and don't look back. It wouldn't be worth the postage to send back to the manufacturer if it did break at these prices. I have a Lee Anniversary and a larger Lee 50BMG press. They do the job but are made of aluminum and have a thin (steel) handle the flexes when used so I don't recommend these. There are other good presses on the market such as Lyman, Pacific, Hornady and etc.. but the RCBS seems to be the most plentiful to find if buying used. If you go with the Lee (which I wouldn't) buy only new. "O" frame is better than "C" frame for strength. If you don't want to buy off of ebay check Gun Broker.

If buying new Widener's and Midway have good prices.

PhillipM
03-14-2015, 04:19
Dillon, Dillon, Dillon. Lifetime no BS warranty no matter if you are the original owner or not. A 550B will suit all your needs and load great ammo. US Army Marksmanship unit uses Dillon, they found better consistency with it than the single stage.

I decided to load 50 45 ACP rounds on my old Rockchucker because I didn't want to break down one of my tool heads on the Dillon. It was torture!

Steps with single stage

deprime and size
prime the cases with my hand primer
flare the mouth
carefully charge cases with lee dipper and funnel on a loading block
seat the cast bullet
crimp the bullet

That was 200 pulls of the handle plus all the time fooling with a loading block and hand priming!

Steps with Dillon

Load primer tube
Set up powder measure
pull the handle 50 times

For rifle ammo, it's used semi progressively most of the time.

I size and deprime,
trim off press
tumble
Back on the Dillon, prime, charge, and seat!

I invested in some RCBS X-Dies for my 3006 and 223. After the initial trim, I do run rifle ammo fully progressive and then just tumble the live ammo a few minutes to get the lube off.

Some say it's a rewarding pastime to do it single stage and don't care how much time it takes. I would rather be shooting or spending time on CSP

Allen
03-14-2015, 05:23
Agree with Phillip on the Dillon if you have the money. Probably the best but most won't go for the extra cost.

Something else to consider when starting out is having a designated "wife free" climate controlled space to set up your bench. This isn't something you pack up or fold up every time you're finished. The bench probably needs to be at least 4' (bigger is better) because you'll need elbow room and space to set your loading tray, powder measure, scales and loose items. Presses are made sturdy for a reason, it takes stress to resize cases and bullets so your bench will need to be secure as well. It is best to attach the bench to the wall but this may not be doable if placed in your bedroom or such. At the least the bench should be heavy to counteract the pulling on the press. Some people set their benches up in their garage but care will be needed to oil and cover the press when not in use and keep your primers and powder inside and dry when finished.

Jim in Salt Lake
03-16-2015, 12:16
I bought a used Dillon 550 about 20 years ago. As Phillip said for warranty, they don't care who is the original owner. Dillon has replaced many parts on mine as they wore out, including a complete, new powder measure. What really made it a good deal were all the extra tool heads, powder dies, 8 caliber conversions, and other pieces included in the deal. All those extras made it seem like I got the press for free. You don't get all that with a new press.

psteinmayer
03-16-2015, 03:21
I use an old Lee Challenger (without even the locking collars) and I can do 50 rounds of .45 ACP in less than an hour. I'm not swimming in wealth, and I have no use for spending needlessly (such as an overpriced Dillon press). The ole Challenger has never failed me in 30+ years now...

Incidentally, why use a funnel in the loading block? Don't you use the powder-through expander? Flares the mouth and allows for the charge in one motion. Also, I threw my Lee dippers in the garbage. Charges can vary by as much as 1.5 grains with the dippers... and with a powder charge as small as you would use in a .45 ACP load, that can spell disaster! I ALWAYS weight my charges!

Former Cav
03-16-2015, 04:10
I loaded from 1979 to 1997 with a single stage Pacific/Hornady 007 press.

50 rounds of 45 in one hour vs 300 to 400 in one hour on the dillon!!!

I bought a dillon 550 back about 1997 and loaded about 100K rounds through it.
I brought it to dillon to have them rebuild it back around 2010 or so.
(I NOW live about 3 miles from them)
they called me 10 days later and said my press was in.
they GAVE me a NEW press with THREE of my old parts on it!!!! NO CHARGE.
Like Philip above said...
I've loaded rounds for NRA highpower for 200, 300, and 600 yards, and 800, 900, and 1000 yards for PALMA on my Dillon. They GO INTO the X ring for even this "crippled old phart"
I KNOW of some guys who go to Camp Perry annually and they use either the Dillon 550 or the 650. One of these guys shot 772 out of 800 and took FOURTH place!
If you buy one USED, they still give you the NO BS warranty.
I've spent the money as I shoot a lot for Caliber changes.
I can go from .308 to .45 ACP in about 2 minutes. Pull 2 pins, remove a rod clip, slide out the .308 tool head and slide in the 45 tool head, replace 2 pins and clip. DONE!!
If you mess around changing from one caliber to the next, you are wasting your time. It is just like changed calibers over on a single stage press, a pain in the very lower extremities.
the longest tool change for me is where I have to change the shell holder and primer tube, like if I went from .308 to .223 or .308 to .357, etc.
but this is doable in 5 minutes. Pull 2 pins, remove rod clip. unscrew one screw to loosen and replace shell holder, put different diameter pins in shell holder, (drop 3 of them in the hole), tighten one screw. unscrew two 10-24 SOC HD CAp Screws and remove and replace primer tube from large to small or visa versa.
tighten two cap screws, slide in tool head, put 2 pins back in and rod clip. DONE.!
I load 38, 357, 41 mag, 44 spc & 44 mag, 45 acp. 223, 243, 308, 6.5 x .284. It is WORTH the dough!!

psteinmayer
03-17-2015, 02:29
I guess I'd understand the need for loading 300 to 400 rounds in an hour if I actually shot that much... but I just don't. To me, that's just too much money to throw down range (and money is extremely tight for me). My single stage is plenty for the 200 rounds of various pistol I shoot every couple months, and 200 rounds of various rifle I shoot in competitions every month.

Former Cav
03-21-2015, 10:47
it's worth it to me as I don't have to pull the lever 4 times as much. the arthritis is catching up to me and is kicking my butt. I even am starting to worry about the ability to jack the slide on my 1911. I might have to change to a wheel gun.

RED
03-24-2015, 05:01
If you are wealthy and shoot 10,000 rounds a month of pistol ammo and another 5,000 rounds of rifle ammo, why would you want to reload and when would you have time to do it?

If you are as rich as Jed Clampet, you can buy gold plated Cadillacs and Dillon reloading gear.

I shoot 10,000 rounds of pistol ammo every 20 years. I shoot 5,000 rounds of rifle ammo every 25 years or so. So why do I reload? I do it because I have rifles that have issues with factory ammo. I do it so that if the SHTF happens, I will have a source for resupply.

Truly crafted reloads are a thing of love and patience. I use a 25 year old RCBS Rock Chukkar press, a vintage 10-10 scale, A set of Lee dippers, and a RCBS trickler. I inspect at ever stage, weigh everything, every time. I measure OAL, runout, and use a cartridge head space gauge.

The most dangerous pieces of reloading equipment I have ever owned was the Dillon Rapid Trimmer and a RL 550. The former almost cost me a very valuable rifle, and the latter caused me great embarrasment.... upside down primers, split case mouths and other problems not found because the operator does not feel and look at the case after each stage.

Owning Dillon equipment is kind of like owning a Mercedes, or a Ranger bass boat... look at me... I am better than you!

Rant off...

joem
03-28-2015, 06:22
Red, I must disagree with your statement about the Dillon trimmer and 550 press. While I now have a 650 and 2 trimmers along with RCBS and a drill press trimmer and other presses, I have never had any problems with either. the 550's I found were used at a good price and sold them to friends wanting to get into reloading. As a aside, I told them to always hand prime all of their cases and not bother with that feature on the press. I did not buy Dillon to show off to anyone. I make good rounds that function in all my rifles.

Former Cav
04-26-2015, 08:37
I know many match shooters who use Dillon equipment.
has nothing to do with being snooty or having a mercedes.
BTW... you couldn't give me a mercedes or beemer. eurotrash stuff.!

psteinmayer
04-27-2015, 03:10
You could give ME a Beemer or Mercedes. I would happily accept... and drive it straight to a used car lot, sell it, and go buy a couple Garands, a few 1903s and a 1911 or two. I'd keep driving my Charger R/T!

John L. Lucci
05-01-2015, 10:22
What is the best set up to get? Better to buy new or used?

I'm currently only 30-06, but will probably reload other rifle and pistol rounds in the future.

I'm just looking to avoid pit falls of getting the wrong set up. Please advise. TIA.

FWIW I'm a little ahead of you. I used to reload 30-06 on a old Lee Challenger back 20 years ago as I'm getting back into it I'm replacing the lost and worn out items in a process of slow accumulation For starters, I gave up on the single station press working a single stage drove me nuts.. In it's place I picked up a used lyman T-mag II and I got a proper reloading table to go with it http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HTN98X6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HTN98X6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 along with an inline Fabrication riserhttp://inlinefabrication.com/collections/ultramounts. I went with the T-mag II because I want more control over the process than what a Progressive allows.. On rifle calibers where it's a two die setup I can keep three calibers on the Turret without changing anything. I can also get additional turrets for different calibers.. If there is a problem it's I'm on a tight budget so it's alot one month then nothing the next. Still need powder handling tools before buying consumables and getting started.. If starting from ZERO a kit is not a bad way to go.. It gets you started and then you can decide what you like and what you don't and start accumulating different tools.

13Echo
05-02-2015, 05:24
What to buy? Good question. The answer depends a l ot on what you have to spend and just how much you will be loading and for how many cartridges.

You will not go wrong with the higher end single stage presses from Hornady, RCBS, Lyman, or Redding. New or used if not mistreated. However, the least expensive, heavy duty , high quality single stage press available is the Lee Classic Cast. If on a real budget the Lee Challenger is completely satisfactory for a starter and will last if not abused.

For turrets Redding, Lyman, and RCBS make some really nice, heavy duty, but expensive presses. I have a T7 and use it for my black powder rifle loading. A beautiful but expensive press. For versatility, though, I use a Lee turret Much less expensive, easily changed turrets, and the turrets are inexpensive (It's now almost $70 for a second turret for the T7). The Lee works just fine for pistol and is much faster than the T7. Still I really like the T7 for the big BP rifle cartridges and I'm glad I have it.

A progressive is not something I would recommend for a beginner reloader no matter who makes it. Get some experience with equipment that makes you pay close attention to each individual process involved. Then, if you do shoot a lot you can add a progressive and you will still find plenty of use for the single stage or turret.

Used dies can be satisfactory but get them at a gunshow where you can inspect them. New dies from any of the major brands, including Lee are satisfactory. Used powder measures can also be fully satisfactory but also inspect. Used scales can be another matter. It is all too easy to bugger up a balance type scale - inspect and use a check weight before buying used. My opinion is you will always need a balance type scale so get a decent one. Electronic scales tend to drift and can cause you to over or under weigh a powder charge if you aren't very careful. You will still one day want one but get the balance first.

My $0.02 but it's from over 50 years of experience.

Jerry Liles

Former Cav
05-06-2015, 10:39
You could give ME a Beemer or Mercedes. I would happily accept... and drive it straight to a used car lot, sell it, and go buy a couple Garands, a few 1903s and a 1911 or two. I'd keep driving my Charger R/T!

My kind of guy. I'd sell the mercedes or bmw and get a jap ride only because the ford dealers in PHX want LIST price. I wanted either a new edge or expedition and they would not give me a dime off! So I have my first foreign vehicle, a 4 runner and I am starting to like it.

I have a 69 Charger S/E that I've upgraded. IT is basically an R/T now, The suspension has been brought up to R/T bars plus .020 over size on the torsion bars, RT springs in back, 440 motor that is stroked to 492 cubes.

psteinmayer
05-06-2015, 03:37
Awesome!:headbang:

PhillipM
05-06-2015, 10:39
A progressive is not something I would recommend for a beginner reloader no matter who makes it. Get some experience with equipment that makes you pay close attention to each individual process involved.
Jerry Liles

I can screw one die in my Dillon 550 and have the single stage experience.

13Echo
05-09-2015, 05:28
Phillip no doubt you can do just that, however for the price of the Dillon press alone you can have an entire loading setup to get started with money left over for powder, primers, and bullets. The Dillon can easily follow if you have a need for its excellent qualities as a progressive press. It all depends on the budget.

Jerry Liles

psteinmayer
05-10-2015, 05:55
Amen to that!

The bottom line is... it all depends on what you're looking to accomplish, what your budget is, and what you favor as far as branding is concerned. People that love Dillon will never accept that others love Lee, RCBS, or Hornady... and vice-versa. Ultimately, what ever you wind up getting will do just fine and dandy as long as you stick to safe reloading practices and established load tables. I will say that in my opinion, someone starting out should probably stick to a single stage until they gain some experience and knowledge... regardless of the brand you purchase. No need to rush into being an expert!

John Sukey
05-22-2015, 02:38
Dillon 650, Lyman All American, RCBS Rockchucker and at least one other sitting on a shelf:icon_lol:
But then I have been reloading for over 50 years.:icon_wink:

gpw_42
05-26-2015, 02:41
Dillon v. RCBS v. Hornady, etc. = Chevy v. Dodge v. Ford

Ken in Iowa
06-13-2015, 09:51
The OP wants to start with 30/06 which immediately implies that a good single stage will suffice. The single stage will always be useful even if you move to a progressive later.

There is a lot of brand loyalty and opinions when it comes to reloading tools. The fact of the matter is that very few of us have a wide experience. We tend to stick with what we know and what works for us.

I tend to be a Green fan, be it Redding or RCBS for basic tools. The other manufacturers all have their nitches.

New vs used? If you encounter a good deal on used, go for it. Otherwise, new will allow you all the choices.

M1CHAZZ
06-21-2015, 03:46
Have had a RockChucker for over 30yrs although not used much; shoot a lot of Mil surp. My friends have also had it & no complaints. I see nothing wrong with used long as was maintained & not rust/pitted on the ram. Just one man's opinion.