PDA

View Full Version : NM Garand

GrinerBros
03-10-2015, 06:52
I Bought a Garand at agun show, the seller said it was a NMGarand and it had NM sights and the prie ws good so I bit and paid upfor it. I looked it up and the 1-55 SA barrel sho enough indicates it could br a NM rifle but I am unable to find the NM marking anywhere on the brrel.

Where did they stamp the NM at?

John L. Lucci
03-10-2015, 07:19
I Bought a Garand at agun show, the seller said it was a NMGarand and it had NM sights and the prie ws good so I bit and paid upfor it. I looked it up and the 1-55 SA barrel sho enough indicates it could br a NM rifle but I am unable to find the NM marking anywhere on the brrel.

Where did they stamp the NM at?

If it's SA National Match the barrel will have a star mark on it; however, it could be match prepped by other parties in which case "Who knows?" If it's an SA provenance and paperwork are everything.

Jay Johnson
03-11-2015, 09:37
If it's a NM barrel there should be a "NM" stamped on the left side of the barrel towards the muzzle between the gas cylinder mounting rings, there might also be a star next to the NM stamp but not all of them had the star.

What is the serial number of the rifle?

Lastly, for a fee CMP will check their records to verify if your M1 was originally shipped as a national match Garand, but give us some more information, maybe a picture or two, and forum members will assist you in determining the likelihood, or not, that your Garand is an authentic national match rifle. From there you should have an idea if it's a NM Garand, or not, and can then decide if you want to spend the money to have CMP verify it.

Hope that helps.

Ted Brown
03-11-2015, 10:47
It's not uncommon for gun show sellers to pass off Garands as National Match if any one part has a NM marking, op rod, sights, etc. Do check with the CMP.

GrinerBros
03-11-2015, 05:14
The SN is 58005XX with a barrel dated 1-55 which fits right in the dates in Duffs book that NMrifles were made at SA.

I looked hard but could not see a NM or star on the left side of the front part of the barrel so I guess it is not a SA NM Rifle.

When I bought it I knew it wasn't a full blown M1 match rifle as I shot HPR with one for years. But is was a all correct SA garand with match sights at an excellent price.

Thanks for the information on the placement of the NM.

jjrothWA
03-11-2015, 06:24
On the front top barrel between the front handguard and GC should be "NM" ,

The bolt MAY have the last four of receiver SN, and the barrel, when OP rod is "full back" has a special
drawing number stamped for the NM barrel.

It should have "NM" on the receiver heel???

Other will correct me. [as I have been known to be wrong!]

Johnny P
03-11-2015, 08:11
The star was found on the early NM barrels, which at that time were stamped with the NM, on the left hand side of the barrel about mid way between the gas cylinder rings. Then the barrels had the NM applied with a pantagraph (engraving) machine as it was thought that stamping the NM set up stresses in the barrel.

Col. Colt
03-12-2015, 11:52
The real ones I've owned in the past did not have "NM" on the Reciever heel - I don't think that is correct. Both had "NM" on the left side of the barrel as already described, one, if I recall right this was a 6M reciever - had the star on the barrel. CC

Johnny P
03-12-2015, 03:41
A 6 million serial number range NM is more than likely a Type I, and still has the original barrel if marked with the star. When production halted around the 6.1 million range, Springfield started using receivers on hand as well as salvaged receivers. The only NM part on the original rifles was the barrel, but the other NM parts were added to the rebuilt rifles.

03-14-2015, 02:36
Bottom line - if it is not stamped NM on the left side of the barrel, between the rings of the gas cylinder, it is NOT a National Match rifle as built by Springfield Armory.
The star just to the right of the NM marking is found on those rifles that were subject to the new accuracy requirements implemented for rifles built for the 1957 National Matches. During 1958 the new accuracy requirements became standard and the "star" stamp was discontinued. As said, these were originally "Type 1" rifles. At a later date the rifle could go through an upgrade and if it retained its original barrel, in addition to the STAR, you should also find the "year code" for 1959, 60, 61 or 62 stamped on the barrel, in the date area.

StockDoc
03-14-2015, 02:41
Didn't some of the first Type 1 NM not have the NM engraved on the barrel, thought I read that somewhere and are extremely rare due to upgrading to the next types

Herschel
03-14-2015, 03:10
In a copyrighted booklet about the NM M1 Rifle the late Major Dick Culver stated that the first 800 NM rifles were manufactured in 1953 and were marked with a rather thin NM on the left side of the barrel about 2" from the muzzle. He also said that no other parts were marked with the magic "NM". Further in the document he says that by 1956 the NM was no longer stamped 2" from the muzzle but was stamped on the left side of the barrel about midway between the front rear rings of the gas cylinder, still on the left side of the barrel.

StockDoc
03-14-2015, 03:44
In a copyrighted booklet about the NM M1 Rifle the late Major Dick Culver stated that the first 800 NM rifles were manufactured in 1953 and were marked with a rather thin NM on the left side of the barrel about 2" from the muzzle. He also said that no other parts were marked with the magic "NM". Further in the document he says that by 1956 the NM was no longer stamped 2" from the muzzle but was stamped on the left side of the barrel about midway between the front rear rings of the gas cylinder, still on the left side of the barrel.

Thanks, that makes sense. I think I found were I went astray, Harrisons book, say that the barrels "were not Stamp but inscribed" , the were not stamped, stuck in my mind, not the complete phrase.

03-14-2015, 08:23
Thanks, that makes sense. I think I found were I went astray, Harrisons book, say that the barrels "were not Stamp but inscribed" , the were not stamped, stuck in my mind, not the complete phrase.

If you measure back 2 " from the muzzle you will see it would be quite difficult to stamp the NM in that location. Remember that when the NM marking is stamped/engraved on the barrel the rifle is fully assembled with gas cylinder in place. As I understand it initially the barrel was "stamped" NM. It is believed that SA felt that there was a chance that the bore was being compressed by stamping and switched to " engraving" the NM marking. Stamped early (through 1956 - early 1957), engraved after that for the duration. However, it looks like SA put the NM on the 7791035 NM barrels, used on the final version of the NM rifle, when they made the barrel. It appears that the NM is cast in the barrel and is under the Parkerizing.
As far as the first 800 NM rifles built for 1953 I have no idea what the NM stamping looked like. I never saw one nor have I seen a photo of one. They only lasted during the 1953 season and all 800 were rebuilt for 1954 and possibly again in subsequent years. As it really was not until 1956 that NM rifles became available to civilians for purchase, under strict rules, I don't see many, if any, being around anymore.

PhillipM
03-15-2015, 01:43
I would think an NM Garand from that period that was actually used as a match rifle and shot hard could very well have had the barrel replaced.

StockDoc
03-15-2015, 10:53
I would think an NM Garand from that period that was actually used as a match rifle and shot hard could very well have had the barrel replaced.

or if not shot out, rebuilt and reparked. markings could be very faint.

03-15-2015, 02:45
" Originally Posted by PhillipM

I would think an NM Garand from that period that was actually used as a match rifle and shot hard could very well have had the barrel replaced. "

You are right about that Phil. Like I said in my reply " these were originally "Type 1" rifles. At a later date the rifle could go through an upgrade and if it retained its original barrel, in addition to the STAR, you should also find the "year code" for 1959, 60, 61 or 62 stamped on the barrel, in the date area."

Usually if a person purchased a NM rifle at Camp Perry or through DCM and they were competition shooters, they would upgrade their rifle with the newest NM parts as soon as they became available. NM rifles that were loaned to shooters at the National Matches were returned to SA and upgraded for the following shooting season. This upgrade may or may not have required a barrel change. Starting with the NM rifles being built or upgraded for the 1959 National Matches, a code was stamped on the barrel which indicates the year of upgrade. Bob Seijas shows a photo, in the Winter 2003 edition of the GCA Journal, of a mint Type 2 NM rifle #5832326, which was originally assembled in 1959, upgraded in 1960 and again in 1962. DCM sales papers are dated May 10, 1971. The rifle still retained the barrel from the original 1959 assembly and showed the year codes for 1959, 1960 and 1962. The reason for this was that the rifle was neither shipped to Camp Perry nor sold by DCM until 1971. It remained in SA inventory and was upgraded each year, even though it was unused. Reason being, when a NM rifle was sold through the DCM, or loaned to a shooter at Camp Perry, the buyer/shooter would get a rifle with all the latest upgrades for that shooting season. They couldn't give one shooter a NM rifle last upgraded in 1958 and another a rifle with all the upgrades for 1962. For this reason SA upgraded most rifles in inventory every year.
NM rifles were also loaned to shooting clubs but these have either been returned to the Government or purchased by the club or club members.
A NM rifle in private hands and "actually used as a match rifle and shot hard" would surely need a barrel change before long. At one time you could return your NM rifle to SA for upgrades and I don't know when that ceased. Usually a rifle owned by a shooter that needed a new barrel could have it installed right at a match by Army armorers that had a van at the matches for this purpose. But the new barrel, while it would be to NM specifications, it would not be marked with NM on the barrel, between the rings of the gas cylinder. It would be a replacement barrel and have a NM marking in the date area of the barrel. The NM mark up front is really like a proof that is inscribed on the barrel at SA after all tests have been performed, the rifle completely assembled and accepted as a NM rifle.

CPC
03-16-2015, 07:05
Looking through my pictures I was able to find these two photos, hopefully they will help a little. The first picture is of a documented Type 1 NM (1955) 5.8M 3-55 barrel in essentially unfired original condition. The second is of a Type 1 NM (undocumented) 5.9M 10-55 barrel that has gone through typical match upgrades by the owner (most likely at the games). The 5.8 is in like new condition and the 5.9 while used is in 90-95% condition.

Regards,
CC

StockDoc
03-16-2015, 08:37
that does help, thanks. Do all have the letter space that far apart?

03-20-2015, 06:03
Those stamps on the early Type 1 NM rifles will be found spaced differently as they used two stamps, an "N" and an "M" Pictured is the stamping on a late 1956 or early 1957 built Type 1 NM rifle. The second picture is the inscription on a 1962 built Type 2. At this point no longer stamped but engraved in some manner. These stamps will be equally spaced. The third picture is of the new 7791035 barrel used on the NM rifles built for 1963. It appears that the NM stamp on these barrels were cast into the barrel when the barrel was built and it is under the Parkerizing.

Phil McGrath
03-20-2015, 06:48
Bob Seijas shows a photo, in the Winter 2003 edition of the GCA Journal, of a mint Type 2 NM rifle #5832326, which was originally assembled in 1959, upgraded in 1960 and again in 1962. DCM sales papers are dated May 10, 1971. The rifle still retained the barrel from the original 1959 assembly and showed the year codes for 1959, 1960 and 1962. The reason for this was that the rifle was neither shipped to Camp Perry nor sold by DCM until 1971. It remained in SA inventory and was upgraded each year, even though it was unused. Reason being, when a NM rifle was sold through the DCM, or loaned to a shooter at Camp Perry, the buyer/shooter would get a rifle with all the latest upgrades for that shooting season.

SA closed in Apr 1968, so I think its safe too assume it was stored at Aniston until it was sold, so it left SA went too Aniston but was still in Army inventory/control.

Those stamped on the early Type 1 NM rifles will be found spaced differently as they used two stamps, an "N" and an "M" Pictured is the stamping on a late 1956 or early 1957 built Type 1 NM rifle. The second picture is the inscription on a 1962 built Type 2. At this point no longer stamped but engraved in some manner. These stamps will be equally spaced. The third picture is of the new 7791035 barrel used on the NM rifles built for 1963. It appears that the NM stamp on these barrels were cast into the barrel when the barrel was built and it is under the Parkerizing.

Barrels are not cast, its better too say the barrel was inscribed before it was finished. The NM barrels that I has seen the NM markings could have been done with a roll mark the placement I've seen on more than a few have not been centered between the gas cylinder rings and a few have been a bit lower than normal one in fact was almost underneath and the G/C practically covered it.

03-21-2015, 02:48
How about this one ??30302

StockDoc
03-21-2015, 04:03
almost looks as though it was filled in with weld, would not no why. Did they also orient the NM that way?

03-21-2015, 06:05
I don't believe Springfield Arsenal ever did.

Phil McGrath
03-23-2015, 10:06
How about this one ??30302

That one is a first.

03-23-2015, 12:36
It was a first for me too. I forget where it was that I copied the photo but I think it may have been on an ALLEGED NM rifle on G.B.:icon_scratch: And yes, "cast" was a bad choice of words. I don't know where the NM rifle I was referring to was shipped from but I guess being shipped in 1971 Anniston would be most likely.