PDA

View Full Version : 1863 Trenton Springfield

Tdarmo
03-08-2015, 07:49
I was wondering if you could help me identify the barrel on my Springfield. Gun looks in good condition I don't think it was polished out? Barrel has no date or proof marks. Looks to be an address M.M. AC_ _ T.
CO. _ .
I've been doing lots of research with no luck. Stock has AM Burt name from Trenton Locomotive. There are two inspector stamps AHJ in rectangle I think the other one is the same . Thanks Tony 3013530136301373013830139

musketshooter
03-09-2015, 06:36
The musket has been completely "refurbished". The barrel should have a V P and eagle head on the left flat. It should be dated on the top near the bolster. There is evidence of rust pits being polished out at the bolster area. None of this is a death knell if the bore is nice and shootable. The eagle head on the barrel is the only way to identify the maker. There were numerous sub contractors who made barrels for many different contractors. Picture of barrel stamps attached.30181

Southron
03-11-2015, 07:13
The "Trenton" '61 Springfields have an interesting history. In December of 1861 both Addison Burt and James Hodge each received a contract from he Ordnance Department for 50,000 '61 Springfield Rifle-Muskets each. Interestingly, they decided to "join forces" but not as partners nor in a corporation.

They leased the Trenton Locomotive Works in Trenton, N.J. and equipped it with the specialized gunmaking machinery required. Burton delivered 11,425 Springfields on his contracts while Hodge delivered 10,500 on his contract.

The fact that your '61 Rifle-Musket has no proof marks nor even a date stamp on the breech leads me to believe that it was one of a "lot" purchased by a state government to arm state troops. The states did not have the high standards of interchangeability and quality demanded by the Federal Ordnance Department.As New Jersey stamped a "N.J." on the breeches of arms they purchased, the buyer probably wasn't the State of New Jersey.

There is another possibility though, your rifle-musket was sold after the war during one of the numerous surplus sales conducted by the Ordnance Department between the late 1860's and the 1900. Dealers like Francis Bannerman, W. Stokes Kirk and others were legendary for purchasing large numbers of rifle-muskets and surplus parts and assembling them into working firearms for sale to the public.

For example, say for whatever reason your Trenton made rifle-musket had a bad barrel. The dealer would replace the bad barrel with a spare surplus barrel (that had never been proofed) so he had something he could sell the arm. The fact that the barrel was not proofed meant nothing to the dealer.

Like they say, if these old guns could only talk!

Southron
03-11-2015, 07:14
The "Trenton" '61 Springfields have an interesting history. In December of 1861 both Addison Burt and James Hodge each received a contract from he Ordnance Department for 50,000 '61 Springfield Rifle-Muskets each. Interestingly, they decided to "join forces" but not as partners nor in a corporation.

They leased the Trenton Locomotive Works in Trenton, N.J. and equipped it with the specialized gunmaking machinery required. Burton delivered 11,425 Springfields on his contracts while Hodge delivered 10,500 on his contract.

The fact that your '61 Rifle-Musket has no proof marks nor even a date stamp on the breech leads me to believe that it was one of a "lot" purchased by a state government to arm state troops. The states did not have the high standards of interchangeability and quality demanded by the Federal Ordnance Department.As New Jersey stamped a "N.J." on the breeches of arms they purchased, the buyer probably wasn't the State of New Jersey.

There is another possibility though, your rifle-musket was sold after the war during one of the numerous surplus sales conducted by the Ordnance Department between the late 1860's and the 1900. Dealers like Francis Bannerman, W. Stokes Kirk and others were legendary for purchasing large numbers of rifle-muskets and surplus parts and assembling them into working firearms for sale to the public.

For example, say for whatever reason your Trenton made rifle-musket had a bad barrel. The dealer would replace the bad barrel with a spare surplus barrel (that had never been proofed) so he had something he could sell the arm. The fact that the barrel was not proofed meant nothing to the dealer.

Like they say, if these old guns could only talk!