PDA

View Full Version : 1942 winchester

GBEAR1
03-08-2015, 03:55
I was wondering if someone could give me an idea of what the REAL WORLD value range would be for an original 42 Winchester. I dont have pictures but here is what I know. It is totally correct and original. The original metal finish rates 95% or better. The stocks retain all original finish { no reworking} with nice cartouches. There are the normal nicks and dings here and there but nothing bad. The bore is pristine and the mechanics are perfect. The gun is righteous. I like it and I know its not going to be cheap. Any and all opinions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

joem
03-08-2015, 05:42
I would question the claim of "orginal" being as it probably went through WWII and perhaps Korea. JMHO.

RCS
03-08-2015, 05:45
A few more details would be helpful: Cartouche is WRA WB, WRA G.H.D. large box or WRA GHD ? is the stock for the no-trap butt plate ? any receiver anneal ? flush nut or lock bar.

Maybe post a data sheet for more details such as the firing pin, op rod mod or not etc, all would help

kidsgun
03-08-2015, 07:53
While we're guessing about values, I have a '57 Chev that is all original?

GBEAR1
03-08-2015, 09:01
I know its a hard question to answer. But it is original. No rebuild, Correct sights, cartouce etc, etc. Lets just say it is the real deal. Im more into carbines and o3s than Garands . Im not savy on Garand values. I would appreciate your best thoughts on price range guys before I take the big plunge. Thanks again for your help.

Latigo 1
03-08-2015, 09:02
How do you know it is original? The chance of running across an "original" 1942 Winchester Garand is pretty slim. Not impossible of course, but really really slim. Few have ever been found. So few in fact that the period of use of some of those early parts is unknown. No one knows for sure exactly when the large box GHD stocks were used, or whether or not WRA ever used a type I lock bar. There are just not enough "original" '42 Winchesters in existence to know for sure. Therefore the value would be quite high. There are some nice restorations though, and a '42 Winchester restored to "all correct" condition would probably bring between $3000 to $5000, depending on the quality of the restoration. Some restorations are very good and some are poor.

UUURah
03-08-2015, 10:12
I have a Winchester Garand built in late 1941. I have it probably 90% restored, I got the hard part, the barrel.

But I'm SURE it was at the battle of Iwo Jima, D-Day, and the Battle of the Bulge.

I also believe in the Tooth Fairy.

wayne
03-08-2015, 10:29
Well, the jealousy shows through. While a simple "Can't tell without an examination" would suffice, some people have to show their behinds and ridicule a person that asks a question. There are original unmolested M1's out there, probably more than you think. I would think an unmolested Winchester would be valued north of $3000.00 in almost any condition above NRA good.

03-08-2015, 11:25
Easily 3K+

82505fco
03-08-2015, 12:45
I sold a mint June-July 1944 Winchester locally to an advanced collector for $6800.00. He set the price and wanted the rifle. If the rifle is original the sky could be the limit on price. Original nice rifles are still out there, good luck.

RCS
03-08-2015, 01:26
Some photos of a three and four digit rifles which have had restoration, the early stuff is worth big bucks

1) WRA RS cartouche (original) no trap stock with buttplate $3800

2) original keystone spring and comp spring on a Winchester follower rod $4000

3) WRA barrel and early dulite color op rod $1000

4) original dulite color three digit receiver $3000

Did not figure early follower arm, bullet guide or follower and slide, don't forget about the sights

Winchester sn 163103 sold for $9250 on Nov 15 2013 too30148301503015230153

tmark
03-08-2015, 08:17
The books I have read repeat the same theme: The overwhelming majority of USGI WWII longarms have been rearsenalized. To find a true original is possible. So many have been made correct and so are not factory original. How can you tell an original from one made correct? I don't think you can. JMHO

fogerty
03-08-2015, 09:40
With all the info you've provided I'de say it's worth a million bucks. Good luck!

Latigo 1
03-09-2015, 11:33
Well, the jealousy shows through. While a simple "Can't tell without an examination" would suffice, some people have to show their behinds and ridicule a person that asks a question. There are original unmolested M1's out there, probably more than you think. I would think an unmolested Winchester would be valued north of $3000.00 in almost any condition above NRA good.
What are you talking about? He asked a question that can not be answered with the minimal information he presented and that is an indication he is inexperienced in the Garand collecting world. People answered his question about values to the best of thier ability, and also tried to warn him about the real world possibility that the rifle he is looking at may not really be "original". I can not tell you how many times I have seen posts asking about "original" rifles, and when more information and photos were finally posted, the rifle turned out to be a stone cold fake. Is it a sign of jealousy that some of us tried to give him a heads up to be careful, or should we have just kept our mouth shut and let him learn the hard way. No one said there are no original rifles out there, but he was warned that an "original" 1942 Winchester Garand is extremly rare, and to be careful. I saw no ridicule in anyone's post. Just a bunch of guys trying to help him out.

CPC
03-09-2015, 12:48
I concur (does not get me a cup of coffee) with latigo. While some of the questions do show skepticism, others were being helpful in my opinion. I was all in until he said he was not savvy on Garand values. On any 42 WRA you have to be savvy (parts and price) or seek assistance from those who are, because the pricing can be painful if you get it wrong. The variance on just a "42 WRA" in dollars can be huge.. just consider the stocks and the internals if you go from Jan-Dec. There were many major changes during the period and RCS and Latigo made some very good points and without any help from the OP, data sheet/Pics. the swags would be irrelevant $4-10>K. Good luck and I hope you get it and post some pics. As some have said, originals do exist but they rarely appear and when they do they command a lot of money in comparison to others of the same time frame. I'm not even savvy, but I do know that.

GBEAR1
03-09-2015, 07:38
Geez o Wiz guys Im sorry for causing such a still. I know it had to have been an aggrivating question. You guys were a big help to me. I spent about 3 hrs tonight looking the 42 over. I see what you all were trying to say. I had 4 reference books and not all of them had the same info on some of the parts. An example was the cartouche. The books I had showed the WRA GHD with periods. The 42 gun I am looking at has no periods and I was figuring it was faked wright off the bat. But with more research I discovered there is a smaller boxed WRA GHD with out the periods and It was used in Oct 42 when this rifle was made only according to the book it was not used till 1260000 where as the rifle is 1253000. I measured the box with calipers and it was very close to the proper measurements but there is a clear overlay in JC harrisons book that wasnt exactly the same as the cartouche . Very close though. I wonder how accurate that overlay is. Another is the knurling on the flush nut rear sights. 2 books said it should be checkered and one book said the knurling is correct. I didnt take it completely apart and I didnt see all the markings on some of the very small parts . The reciever heel has been aneiled so I figure it is the original parkerized finish. The finish on the rest of the rifle looks right to be with my years of experience collecting US Military rifles and old Winchester levers. He is going to hold it for me a couple days for me to make up my mind. I think the gun is good. I suppose there could be some minor stuff changed over the years hence the foolishness of my initial claim the gun is 100% original. Any more help you guys can give is still greatly appreciated.

RCS
03-09-2015, 08:22
GBEAR1, Your Winchester 1253000 was serial numbered on Oct 1, 1942, your stock could be either the large box WRA G.H.D. or the smaller box WRA GHD. there is an overlap on the sight knobs
and the "flush nut" would be correct from production but most were changed to the second type lock bar, but there are some around. Look for A and CM marked parks, a dulite blue gas cylinder with
the Winchester front sight (with front sight screw seal ?) Look for a large pad on the trigger housing

Latigo 1
03-09-2015, 09:04
The GHD with periods is the large box cartouche. The one without is the small box. Your rifle is right at the point that either could be correct. I have only heard of two original rifles that have been found with the large box. One is a 1.264 mil and the other is a 1.274 mil. This is not absolute though because the large boxes probably started a little earlier and small box GHD cartouches have also been seen in this serial number range. The cartouches in Harrison's book are not true likenesses of genuine cartouches, in fact they are pretty far off, so not good for comparison. Your sight should have checkered knobs and a flush nut. As far as I know, all WRA flush nut sights had checkered knobs. Knurled knobs and the long pinion with lock bar were all implemented at the same time. A repark will not hide the annealing on the receiver. It will still show up after a repark. It is hard for anyone to make judgement on this rifle without clear photos of all the parts. There are just too many things to check out. We know that stocks, barrels, hammers, and rear sight short pinions have been faked. You would have to know how to tell if the trigger housing pad has been modified as well as the op rod. The rear sight base and cover would also have to be verified as WRA. Does the rear handguard have the op rod notch? I am not trying to discourage you from buying this rifle, just trying to point out a few things to be wary of before paying a high price. Some research seems to be in order. I have sold several restorations and have never hesitated to provide lots of pics and full description for any question that came up from the buyer. If I were you I would see if the seller would provide pics of all the parts, especially if the price is high.

GBEAR1
03-10-2015, 03:31
I understand. This is more complicated than I thought it would be. I could try to get some photos if he will go along. I dont know what you mean about the modified trigger housing and I dont know about the sight pinion. The gas tube is dulite and the front sight is ok.The stock and butt plate is Winchester for sure. Seems the rear sight may be in that transition area as well as the cartouche. I see the winchester proof mark as well as punch mark but I didnt take the upper hand guard of to check the drawing number on the barrel because of fear of scratching the barrel. The parts that I could see had the proper drawing numbers and some had no markings.Here is a question. Should any of the internal parts be in unfinished in the white? Im talking parts that are seen by field stripping. The price of the rifle is 4300. Thats more than I have ever paid for a rifle. Im not looking to sell for a short term profit but to keep as a long term investment. I like to have a little wiggle room when I buy but I dont want a turkey. g

Latigo 1
03-10-2015, 09:45
I sent you a private message.

GBEAR1
03-11-2015, 02:57
One thing that concerns me on this rifle is that it does have the flush nut rear sight but the windage and elevation knobs are knurled not checkered. Can this be correct for a Oct 1942 rifle?