PDA

View Full Version : M97 Trench

keith smart
03-04-2015, 11:37
Finally found a wall decoration to go with my WWI Trench. Unmarked 6 row handguard, vertical WB. I would appreciate any comments, approximate shipping date etc. Photos follow

keith smart
03-04-2015, 11:41
Having a time posting photos-here's is the stock and serial number. There is some white paint in the sn. I thought thought the Hoppes had removed it all until I looked at the photo. Thanks! Keith

Tom Doniphon
03-04-2015, 05:44
It was likely made in the Spring of 1942. That is a very low serial number for a trench gun. Mostly riot guns found in that serial number range.

scosgt
03-05-2015, 10:38
The US no bomb, unmarked 6 row and WB would all be correct for that gun. It is an early serial, but there are great discrepancies in 97 serials, and that one has the right stuff on it.

keith smart
03-05-2015, 02:26
Thanks for the feedback!
Keith

jmark
03-06-2015, 01:35
Thanks for the feedback!
Keith
Nice Trench gun Keith.

Ironlip
03-07-2015, 06:36
This thread raises some interesting questions about riot gun serial numbers vs trench gun serial numbers, U.S. with bombs and without bombs, WB above the ordnance stamp or to the side, plain six row guards vs six row guards marked with patent numbers, etc. Has anyone ever started a data base on Model 97's on this site or anywhere else? Is there any decent research addressing whether the guns were assembled in serial number order or close to serial number order?

scosgt
03-08-2015, 03:35
I can make some informed guesses to answer:

It is generally accepted among collectors that 97's serials are not consecutive. Supposedly the receivers were hand polished as piece work by the employees at home after the serials were put on, so there are discrepancies because they did not all come back at the same time.

In general, the RIOT guns should be a WB cartouche. It appears that no riots were made once they started up trench guns. The bomb on the side next to the US appears sometime around March 1942, along with the GHD initials AND the four row handguard. But guns in the 930XXX range are seen with all different combos of bombs and handguards and initials. I personally owned a 935xxx serial that was flat new. It had an unmarked 6 row, GHD, and no bomb. So in that range, almost anything can be correct, as long as it is NOT a WWI handguard (they ran out of those long before). Some of the earlier guns (1940) even have a different bomb on the barrel, which would probably be seen on a riot but not a trench.

ww2imposter
03-09-2015, 02:46
I have an early M97 trenchgun ser# 9300XX...."US" with no bomb on receiver......4 row handguard....."WB" stamped stock with the ordnance escutchin beside the "WB"......
I also have a mid range M97 riotgun ser# 9254xx..."US" with ord. bomb on receiver.........the stock is marked the same way as the trenchgun with the additional "AN" below the inspectors stamp. Go figure.