PDA

View Full Version : Re-Numbered M1911

Vettepartz
03-02-2015, 12:53
I talked on the phone to an individual today who says he has a X numbered M1911, which he might want to sell. Here is all the info he gave me. Serial number is X18xx (second two x's are actual numbers) and the gun is parkerized. There is a US Property stamp above this number. The frame has the heart shaped cutouts, and the slide has the pony at the rear. Inspection stamp is the eagle's head over S16. He says he also has a receipt from the NRA dated in the sixties that has the serial number and a price of $17. There are no arsenal rebuild marks on it. Grips are plastic Keyes with star and number inside. Barrel has a "G" in front of the lugs and a "P" on one lug. MSH is flat and grip safety is short.

I am thinking this may have been a renumbered gun that was rebuilt at an armory and then sold to the public. Are there any other identifying features to look for on a renumbered gun? Neither one of us is sure of a fair price for this, as I may want to buy it. I haven't actually seen it yet, but will on this weekend. He says that it shows very little wear since being parkerized. Any ball park figure on a price?

cplnorton
03-02-2015, 01:18
My best guess on value is the same as any rebuild. I don't think there would be any premium for the x number. Also I imagine it might be harder to sell one than a normal rebuild. There would be a limited market.

I'm guessing $1200-$1300 would be about max.

03-02-2015, 02:10
sounds about right.