PDA

View Full Version : Reloding 50-70 Govt ??

Brad
02-17-2015, 06:57
Any advice is appreciated.
Any one have any experience using Pyrodex??
Have a chart that says using Pyrodex "CTS" is good?
I already have a can of Pyrodex "RS"
Anyone know what those letters mean?? Would the RS be ok?
It says it is the equivilient of FFG Black powder, which is another choice of propellant?
Thanks

Parashooter
02-17-2015, 08:13
"CTS" is unfamiliar. I believe "CTG" = Cartridge and "RS"= Rifle/Shotgun.

Personally, I use smokeless for .50/70's, avoiding the mess and fuss of replica or genuine black powder in my 1868 Trapdoor and 1871 Rolling Block.

joem
02-18-2015, 05:56
I have one rifle (11.75 Danish) that I use Trail Boss power in. Works great and not the mess of BP.

Brad
02-18-2015, 06:45
Thanks guys.
I am not a reloader myself, and am not at all familiar with it.
But I have a friend that reloads what few things needing done for me.
A few years back he reloaded 100 Rds of 45-70 for me using a modern smokeless powder of some sort that is commonly used to replace black powder in such things.
It works very well. The only reason we were considering using the Pyrodex is firstly, I have it and have no other use for it.
And secondly, I have read where it is possible to get better accuracy with it because the ratio of error in loads is smaller by percentage of load. Thereby less "ladder" effect, they called it.
Also, not needing to mess with wadding or pillow ticking to fill the case.
Thanks agai all

JimF
02-18-2015, 09:32
I suggest a visit to trapdoorcollector.com and scroll through to some loading recipies posted there by shooters that seem to know the 50-70 backwards and forwards.
Yes . . . RS grade is "Rifle/Shotgun" --Jim

Sunray
02-18-2015, 10:43
There's .50-70 data in Lyman's BP Handbook and Reloading Guide. Not at home to look.
There is smokeless data on Handloads.com, buckets of assorted data of Load Data (for a fee).
Pyrodex "RS" is for percussion rifles and shotguns.
Pyrodex Select or Pyrodex CTG is for cartridges.
Only ML and BP handgun data on Hodgdon's site. No rifle cartridges.

Hefights
02-21-2015, 02:17
OP, there is a little bit more involved, or at least differences, involved in BP cartridge loading than smokeless powder, I assume you realize the differences.

Hefights
02-21-2015, 02:18
nt