PDA

View Full Version : M1A Fail

Art
02-16-2015, 12:27
I shot a little informal match at my gun club yesterday. After the shoot one of the range officers broke out a brand new Springfield Armory Inc. M1A, He opened the action and the bolt jumped out of the op rod. If it was mine that would give me cause for concern! Anybody else have a new mfg M1A that's had this problem. I don't own one and don't intend to, just curious.

UUURah
02-16-2015, 01:01
Have heard of various "bugs" in SA M1A's. The one I have there was supposedly a recall with the bolts being brittle. Some years back I contacted them, I shipped the barreled-receiver and bolt back to them. They replaced the barrel and bolt.

Worked fine ... before and after.

SMOKEY
02-16-2015, 01:11
Been reading on the M14 forum of lots of problems the newer M1A Springfields have been having from bad bolts to extractors breaking. Seems that their quality is slipping.

Major Tom
02-19-2015, 08:55
Besides, they have wood that is way over sized.

Ted Brown
02-19-2015, 02:15
There may be many things in the new M1A to complain about, but oversized wood is purely a personal opinion. Many shooters, especially competitive shooters prefer oversized stocks, even exceptionally oversized like the Super Match Boyds' style II and McMillan competition models. Although I like shooting rifles with GI profile stocks I've never found the M1A stocks too big...

BHillman
02-19-2015, 10:01
Usually it's hard to get the op rod out of the track on newer guns. Sounds like he put outward pressure on the op rod and when it hit the dismount notch it came out and there you go...operator error. Should be just fine.

Bruce

John Sukey
02-20-2015, 12:51
Had that happen to me on an M1 they issued me. But it occurred when I fired it!

gulliver62
02-21-2015, 02:51
I have seen the op-rod jump out when the tab is worn but never the bolt leave the op rod while it is still in the track. Back to SAI that goes!