PDA

View Full Version : What is this??

Garden Valley
02-13-2015, 12:34
I know some of you Brit collectors also collect webbing, so can anyone tell me the intended purpose of this item? It's obviously a Pattern 37 piece, but what is it? I know it's not a water bottle carrier, though a water bottle will fit in it the strap is too short to come over the top of the bottle and reach the snap stud. And what is the purpose of the brass stud on the bottom? It is a nicely marked Mills manufacture item and all help in identifying it is appreciated.

I FOUND IT! This is a Pattern 1940 water bottle carrier for the cavalry. Apparently, there was a new set of Pattern '40 web equipment adopted for the cavalry and this was part of it. For those interested, here is what I found .....

The Carrier, waterbottle, W.E. Patt. '40 was introduced with the Web Equipment, Cavalry Patt. '40 by List of Changes entry L. of C. §B9033, dated 16th February 1944 as stores ref. A1/AA 5298. The carrier is a partial envelope inclosing the Water bottle, but it does not cover the full length of the bottle. The "V" shaped strap has a fastener crown that connects to the spigot on the body. There are two angled 1-inch chapes and buckles on the top rear. These connect to the horizontal strap extending from the left Cartridge carrier and to the Strap with keyway fitting. There is also a stud riveted to the bottom of the bag. That connects to the to the keyway fitting on the right side of the Back adjustment strap.