PDA

View Full Version : A Warning about Spotting Scopes in general, and old ones in particular.

Col. Colt
02-08-2015, 01:26
In following my new interest in WWII era military firearms related collectables, I have now purchased three M48 B&L military spotting scopes. Of the two I have taken apart for cleaning, both had at least one damaged prism.

The Technical Manual for these scopes is very specific that they are to be carefully handled and NOT dropped. Upon examining the Manual and their internals, it is evident why. The prisms are hard mounted to a steel plate - no cushioning at all. A hard enough fall could always chip them. The cases they come in, both factory leather or GI fiber/wood composite don't provide much if any cushioning from a fall. The lenses are, of course, also metal to glass mounted. One of the GI Fiber cases shows very slight separation on the bottom between the tube and the end, possibly from being dropped with a scope in it.....

Because of this I am adding dense foam cushions to all my spotting scope cases, both ends. I have three of the later B&L "Senior" 60MM civilian scopes - two are somewhat dirty and need internal cleaning, but no sign of internal damage. I will have to examine them and see why they are in better shape - it could be an improved, later design, or just not having been used in a rough and tumble, combat environment.

I would be curious if anyone else here found damaged glass in a GI spotting scope. Be gentle with your glass, Gentlemen! CC

cwbuff
02-09-2015, 02:01
I have 3 of the M48/NRA style spotting scopes. I have never attempted to take them a part. All 3 work perfectly with great optics. I use them at the shooting range and have always been careful with them.