PDA

View Full Version : Shooting BPCS With Trapdoor

Geologist
02-04-2015, 08:02
All,

I recently purchased a very nice 1888 Springfield trapdoor rifle that was manufactured in the second quarter of 1892. I intend to shoot it a lot – probably 2,000 black powder cartridge rounds per year in BPCS competitions. Are there any parts that tend to wear or break that I should find to have in reserve? Do you recommend original or reproduction replacements parts?
Regards,

Geologist

Dick Hosmer
02-04-2015, 08:17
First part is a toughie, though I'm sure I have seen, somewhere, a list of the parts deemed necessary for a year's field service - but I'm not sure they would be applicable since you will - I assume - be treating the arm MUCH better and more carefully, than the raw recruits of 125 years ago! I would see springs as the weakest point and would obtain a spare mainspring and sear spring, probably an ejector spring as well. You could break a sear, I suppose.

I'd recommend original parts. I don't know if Pedersoli parts would fit, and would hate to find out they didn't in the midst of a match - the originals will drop right in. The H&R mainsprings were made from folded flat stock, one of the sorriest POS ever seen, and were mushy to boot. I put an SA mainspring in my Officer's Model, and the difference was unbelievable.

Geologist
02-04-2015, 09:58
First part is a toughie, though I'm sure I have seen, somewhere, a list of the parts deemed necessary for a year's field service - but I'm not sure they would be applicable since you will - I assume - be treating the arm MUCH better and more carefully, than the raw recruits of 125 years ago! I would see springs as the weakest point and would obtain a spare mainspring and sear spring, probably an ejector spring as well. You could break a sear, I suppose.

I'd recommend original parts. I don't know if Pedersoli parts would fit, and would hate to find out they didn't in the midst of a match - the originals will drop right in. The H&R mainsprings were made from folded flat stock, one of the sorriest POS ever seen, and were mushy to boot. I put an SA mainspring in my Officer's Model, and the difference was unbelievable.

Dick,

Thank you for your input. Original Parts – there seem to be a number of part sources: Al Frasca, S&S Firearms, Lodgewood Manufacturing, Keith Rush, Dixie Gun Works, and of course E-Bay. When you’re looking for parts, to whom do you turn?

Thanks,

Geologist

SMOKEY
02-04-2015, 10:25
I also recommend a spare ejector. I obtained a 73 model years ago and that was the only part broke. Replaced same and kicks shells out nicely.

Dick Hosmer
02-04-2015, 01:54
Dick,

Thank you for your input. Original Parts – there seem to be a number of part sources: Al Frasca, S&S Firearms, Lodgewood Manufacturing, Keith Rush, Dixie Gun Works, and of course E-Bay. When you’re looking for parts, to whom do you turn?

Thanks,

Geologist

Thumbs up: Frasca, Daugherty, Knisely, DeChristopher(expensive), S&S**
No current knowledge: Lodgewood, Dixie**
Not recommended: Keith Rush (under ANY circumstances)

**be SURE you are getting originals, the lines seem to have gotten blurry over the years.

13Echo
02-08-2015, 08:47
They are tough rifles and there isn't much to break. Examine all your parts, especially the springs, and replace or stock extra of anything that appears worn, rusty, or broken. Both my rifles (1868 and 1884) are still using all their original parts except the bronze firing pin in one and they all look healthy. None-the-less I have spare firing pins, extractors, and ejector springs and plan on adding hammer and trigger springs. With reasonable handling and a well cared for rifle you likely will never break anything.

Jerry Liles

11mm
02-08-2015, 02:24
Per the post above: "They are tough rifles and there isn't much to break." These rifles, if you buy one in good condition, have withstood a century and a quarter or more of just hanging around. They are simple and most parts are nearly immune to breakage if kept clean and lubricated. They were obsolete fifteen years or less after they were developed, but they are great rifles and very accurate when you develop the right load for the rifle. Really, none of their single shot military contemporaries were better. I suspect that, with good care, you can't wear one out in a normal lifetime of lead bullet shooting. I bought one from Al Frasca which was used regularly for target shooting. It is still almost minute-of-angle at 100 yards. An extensive list of spare parts is probably not required.