PDA

View Full Version : Need an explanation of the swivel base on trigger guard .....

Garden Valley
02-02-2015, 02:39
I have a nice No. 1 Mk III* that has a sling swivel base at the front of the trigger guard. I've seen the loop for the action cover on trigger guards and I've seen the target rifle sling swivel assembly installed in place of the front trigger guard screw, but this trigger guard has a swivel base incorporated into the trigger guard immediately in front of the magazine. Could someone knowledgeable please explain it's purpose? Was it intended to utilize a standard swivel? Or some other type swivel? Thanks!

John Sukey
02-02-2015, 05:01
The sling was fitted to that position for light infantry and cavalry.
For cavalry you don't want the sling fouling the scabbard

Garden Valley
02-02-2015, 05:42
Thanks very much!

John Sukey
02-18-2015, 01:05
While I am at it. The staple on the trigger guard had one of two purposes
1. If centered it was to hold a chain link on the cavalry carbine attached to the magazine to keep from losing it. At that time, before charger loading a spare loaded magazine was carried
2. If offset, a means to tie the canvas breech cover to the rifle so it wouldn't be lost if you had to move out in a hurry

tklawrence
05-06-2015, 07:11
1. ... At that time, before charger loading a spare loaded magazine was carried

John,

When did charger loading become common practice with the infantry?

Tom Lawrence

JB White
05-06-2015, 02:30
"Common practice" is tricky to answer. It didn't exactly happen overnight. However charger rifles filtered in sometime between 1905 and 1908. Don't know when the first ones were trialed.

RCS
05-06-2015, 04:27
The Mark 1 series had the left charger guide fitted to the action body and the right charger guide
fitted to the bolt head (this was a sliding charger and had to be moved to remove the bolt) The Mark 111
had a bridge charger guide fitted to the receiver as did early conversions30774