PDA

View Full Version : What about this?

donb
02-02-2015, 02:30
I've been traveling in S Florida, avoiding the snow back home and visiting gun shops. This was described as probably an 1863, but maybe an 1861?
I don't know? I looked up some examples and thought 63? What do you think and despite the sad pics, any thoughts on value?
Thanks!

Southron
02-02-2015, 06:25
Samuel Norris and W.T. Clement delivered 11,000 Rifle-Musket to the State of Massachusetts in 1863 and 1864. The state paid $18.50 for each "Stand of Arms." (the Rifle-Musket, bayonet, and leather accoutrements.) Norris and Clement delivered not only Model 1861 Rifle-Muskets, but also Model 1863 Rifle-Muskets.

The 1861 Model uses an "Arched Hammer" and a bolster that has a "Clean out Screw" while the 1863 Model has a hammer like the one on your musket and also the bolster like yours has. So, you have a Model 1863 Rifle-Musket.

If correct, the barrel bands on your rifle-musket should be of the type with the screw on the bottom and the fore stock NOT inletted for band springs and of course, should not have band springs like the U.S. Model 1861 and Model 1864 Rifle-Muskets.

Note that someone has reversed the trigger guard on your arm. The sling swivel is supposed to be on the FRONT of the trigger guard, not the rear. This is easily corrected as the trigger guard is bolted to the trigger plate by two round bolts. Simply take the Trigger Guard Assembly off the musket by unscrewing the Tang Screw and the two wood screws and unscrew the round nuts and turn the trigger guard around. Then reassemble the musket.

Suggest you check the some of the online auction websites, Rock Island Auctions, Gunbroker, etc., to see what U.S. Model 1863 Rifle-Muskets are going for. Keep in mind you have a variation, i.e., a contractor made are (which makes it a bit more rare) delivered to a state and not the federal government. Also, condition has a very large impact on value.

GOOD LUCK!

Southron
02-02-2015, 06:26
Samuel Norris and W.T. Clement delivered 11,000 Rifle-Musket to the State of Massachusetts in 1863 and 1864. The state paid $18.50 for each "Stand of Arms." (the Rifle-Musket, bayonet, and leather accoutrements.) Norris and Clement delivered not only Model 1861 Rifle-Muskets, but also Model 1863 Rifle-Muskets.

The 1861 Model uses an "Arched Hammer" and a bolster that has a "Clean out Screw" while the 1863 Model has a hammer like the one on your musket and also the bolster like yours has. So, you have a Model 1863 Rifle-Musket.

If correct, the barrel bands on your rifle-musket should be of the type with the screw on the bottom and the fore stock NOT inletted for band springs and of course, should not have band springs like the U.S. Model 1861 and Model 1864 Rifle-Muskets.

Note that someone has reversed the trigger guard on your arm. The sling swivel is supposed to be on the FRONT of the trigger guard, not the rear. This is easily corrected as the trigger guard is bolted to the trigger plate by two round bolts. Simply take the Trigger Guard Assembly off the musket by unscrewing the Tang Screw and the two wood screws and unscrew the round nuts and turn the trigger guard around. Then reassemble the musket.

Suggest you check the some of the online auction websites, Rock Island Auctions, Gunbroker, etc., to see what U.S. Model 1863 Rifle-Muskets are going for. Keep in mind you have a variation, i.e., a contractor made are (which makes it a bit more rare) delivered to a state and not the federal government. Also, condition has a very large impact on value.

GOOD LUCK!

donb
02-03-2015, 10:39
Thanks!

donb
02-03-2015, 10:40
Thanks Again!