PDA

View Full Version : Strange mark on sized brass??

joem
01-31-2015, 09:39
A man I know gave me some brass as he does not reload. the brass is S&B .44 mag. When I resized it I noted that my die shaved off some brass on 1 side of the case about 1/2" above the base. Every 10 case sized I had to remove the decap pin and clean out brass shavings from the die. I had never seen this and it doesn't happen on any of the .44 mag brass I reloaded before. I'm wondering if there might be a problem with the mans revolver.:icon_scratch:

Former Cav
01-31-2015, 10:11
I'd toss the brass.... OR....take a picture of it on your cell phone and send it to S&B. I sent them pictures of split 45 cases and told them of my displeasure.
They asked for the serial number stamped on the flap of the box and a picture. They shipped me FREE loaded ammo.
Good service.

joem
01-31-2015, 11:39
I did take pics and saved them to my PC. They are in the tumbler so I may not see the scuffs after they come out.

DaveL
02-01-2015, 08:56
I put all S&B brass in the scrap brass bucket where it belongs.

mikld
02-03-2015, 08:59
I would measure the OD of some before I sized them to see if the case is out of round or bulged. Depending on how deep the gouges or scratches are. If they are any more than surface scratches, dump 'em. I have some "once fired" S&B brass and haven't seen/had any problems (except some 7.62x54 had straight primer pockets, no break on the mouth. Had to chamfer them).

joem
02-03-2015, 12:20
They came out of the tumbler and look fine. I'll load up six and see what they do in my black hawk.

Matt Anthony
02-04-2015, 02:51
I had issues with 45 acp S&B brass. Primers loose and brass was not as ridged as RP or Win. Its definitely softer brass and I would not even consider it to reload. This happened 3 years ago.
Matt

Former Cav
02-05-2015, 03:29
I've been reloading the S&B brass with no problems. Like all brass, you MUST inspect it, gage it. YOu can never look at it too much!

joem
02-13-2015, 06:25
I fired the S&B brass and it functioned fine. I resized it again and it has marks in the same place but no shaving of brass. I guess I'll load it again, shoot it and then to the scrap bucket.