PDA

View Full Version : CMP North Store Discussion Thread

m1ashot
01-27-2015, 05:50
Discussion of lack of inventory at North Store was Shut Down By Big Red Moderator. In the interest of free expression I open this thread

nf1e
01-28-2015, 03:06
I have no complaints at all. Fortunately my visits to the North Store only happen when the action is on at Camp Perry. I always seem to find something that needs to follow me home. I think they do a great job. It ain't the 90's anymore.

Semper Fi
Art

Crispy
01-28-2015, 09:40
I find this quite simple really, if I frequently visit a store, any store, and they seldom or never have the goods I'm shopping for or I find the quality of the goods is un-acceptable then I soon stop visiting that store.
If enough people stop visiting the store it soon go's out of business.
If the market for these goods is sufficient another avenue for filling the demand (while making a profit) appears.
When the total supply of said goods is depleted then a new supply must be obtained or soon all stores selling them will close.
I fear we are entering this phase.
Crispy.

m1ashot
01-28-2015, 05:15
So if they don't suppy NS its ok to shut it down?

mp_tx
01-28-2015, 05:33
So if they don't suppy NS its ok to shut it down?

Yes. It's a quite common practice in the business world.

IditarodJoe
01-28-2015, 06:37
I suspect it's almost a moot point. The sale of surplus rifles was intended to build an endowment for the CMP's programs. They've done that and now the supply of available rifles is running dry. I wouldn't be surprised to see both stores close within a year or two. I also suspect that 95+ percent of CMP customers couldn't care less as they never have, and never will have an opportunity to visit a CMP store.

Major Tom
01-29-2015, 04:16
I have bought 3 service grade rifles from CMP when they were $400 and they even had Winchesters. Now, for me, the price even for a field grade is too high.

01-29-2015, 11:39
I visited the NS in july 09. Filled to the gills!!! Spent 3500.00 and left with 5 SG and 2 BRs. Shame to see them empty. Maybe the M4s, LOL

m1ashot
01-29-2015, 05:58
Let's here more. SS had collector, and winchesters recently

Roadkingtrax
01-29-2015, 09:27
The rifle sales are slowing down. The new OIC is a shooter, sounds like things are moving away from the collector. Good, bad? Expensive rifles helped subsidize the sales of service grades to thousands of shooters.

There are a lot of things happening behind the scenes that the public is not aware of, but expect the collector days coming out of the CMP to be done. Enjoy what you have, and be grateful you have them.

PhillipM
01-30-2015, 06:01
The rifle sales are slowing down. The new OIC is a shooter, sounds like things are moving away from the collector. Good, bad? Expensive rifles helped subsidize the sales of service grades to thousands of shooters.

There are a lot of things happening behind the scenes that the public is not aware of, but expect the collector days coming out of the CMP to be done. Enjoy what you have, and be grateful you have them.

Civilian Marksmanship Program. Not M1 Garand collector's society, never has been. The whole point of the DCM/CMP is to get people into shooting sports and then all the collectors invaded and now they bitch.

Expensive rifles did not subsidize service grades. All profits go into a fund to one day perpetually fund youth programs.

I'm sorry the North Store has been barren as of late, but before you cry sour grapes, for a long time that was the ONLY store.

cplnorton
01-30-2015, 08:09
Yeah it sucks. I live about an hour and half from the North store and would frequent there every so often. It's not worth the drive now. There is nothing there other than C's and D's.

I miss the old days. :(

m1ashot
01-31-2015, 02:50
As long as there are two stores should sales be equal? Shipping is a nothing burger. a lotta people worked hard to keep Camp Perry open and improved, where DCM originated. With Ohio getting rid of inventory tax parts and rifles can go back home. And why Taledaga range millions? Camp Perry is the center of the shooting world. In the middle of a great vacation land.

m1ashot
01-31-2015, 03:02
If things are slowing down, does the Cmp really need a highly paid Board of Directors who are none shooters? I'm sure you could find a board of highly qualified volunteers directors from the shooting world. Let's hear your opinions.

Latigo 1
02-01-2015, 11:09
Here is my opinion: The CMP is doing just fine without your advice. It is obvious you are just being a crybaby because the CMP store in your back yard (40 miles) does not have enough inventory to give you the selection you want. The CMP has stated they are not going to short or delay the majority of thier customers (the people who use mail order) to favor the small number of people who live close enough to the stores to make the trip. Why do you think you deserve special treatment?

nf1e
02-02-2015, 02:55
Well said Latigo 1.

usmc69
02-02-2015, 05:21
Here is my opinion: The CMP is doing just fine without your advice. It is obvious you are just being a crybaby because the CMP store in your back yard (40 miles) does not have enough inventory to give you the selection you want. The CMP has stated they are not going to short or delay the majority of thier customers (the people who use mail order) to favor the small number of people who live close enough to the stores to make the trip. Why do you think you deserve special treatment?

Well said Latigo 1.

I feel the guys that live close by cherry pick the rifles and usually for a profitable purpose.

However, I use the CMP North store on a regular basis and I live in Florida. Don't like buying mail order, much prefer to buy after handling........is that cherry picking?

nf1e
02-02-2015, 05:35
You done good usmc69. Looks like you entered service about the time I was stationed at MCAS Beaufort. We lived half way between the Air Station and Parris Island. Best of both worlds. After SE Asia, It was like heaven.
I think what is being talked about are the whiners that don't get what they think they deserve. I too use the North store regularly. Every July and August while visiting Camp Perry.

Semper Fi
Art

Allen
02-02-2015, 07:36
I feel the guys that live close by cherry pick the rifles and usually for a profitable purpose.

However, I use the CMP North store on a regular basis and I live in Florida. Don't like buying mail order, much prefer to buy after handling........is that cherry picking?

???? Just curious. Why do you use the NS instead of the SS or do you use both?

steelap
02-02-2015, 04:00
As long as there are two stores should sales be equal? Shipping is a nothing burger. a lotta people worked hard to keep Camp Perry open and improved, where DCM originated. With Ohio getting rid of inventory tax parts and rifles can go back home. And why Taledaga range millions? Camp Perry is the center of the shooting world. In the middle of a great vacation land.

Until the Dems shut down ALL USG ranges to civilians. It's already happening - bases are closing their ranges if insufficient military stationed there. How many military personnel are stationed at Camp Perry?

Ted Brown
02-02-2015, 04:06
Doesn't matter, Camp Perry is a National Guard facility. Your right about loosing a lot of military ranges however.

m1ashot
02-02-2015, 04:09
I'm just trying to start a discussion of members. There a five none shooting Clinton appointee making 80k plus. Let's havea discussion. As far as negative posters I don't need any more grands.

Latigo 1
02-02-2015, 04:20
I'm just trying to start a discussion of members. There a five none shooting Clinton appointee making 80k plus. Let's havea discussion. As fareas negative posters I don't need any more grands and I could buy you an sell you pissants

I see, you are trying to start a discussion, but only as long as everyone agrees with you. Well, you asked for opinions and I gave you mine. Too bad it does not fit in with what you want to hear. As far as buying and selling us pissants, well maybe, but I am not impressed.

blackhawk2
02-02-2015, 05:01
The head of the pissants is pissed off cause the SS gets the all of the good stuff....Ya'all should feel sorry for him....regards alex

Orlando
02-03-2015, 02:39
I'm just trying to start a discussion of members. There a five none shooting Clinton appointee making 80k plus. Let's havea discussion. As fareas negative posters I don't need any more grands and I could buy you an sell you pissants

First you whine and moan because of a thread moderated on CMP now you are name calling becuase it doesnt go your way here? You asked for a discussion and you got it.
I'm several hours away from the North Store and havent made a trip for several years. Shut the darn place down except for the Nationals would be fine with me. There are better deals online from private sellers anyway

nf1e
02-03-2015, 02:46
Don't think I have ever seen " grands " for sale at NS. Try looking for Garands next time. Might not be a bad idea to use some of your wealth for an edumacation m1ashot. Are you sure you aren't a West Virginian.

Tuna
02-03-2015, 07:52
How many people have any of you seen who are selling collectable M1 rifles bought from CMP for say $3000 and are now selling them for $5000. There has been one here who on a constant basis is selling collectable M1 Garands for almost double what he paid for them. Is this a right thing to do? I doubt it and the same thing with the M2 ball Greek ammo. How many trucks would pull up to one of the stores and then leave with tens of thousands of rounds of ammo only to sell it on the outside. Well the same thing happens with the lower grades of rifles too. They wind up on GB or another auction site for hundreds of dollars more then they paid for them. None of this is right and it hurts the guy who wants to be able to buy a rifle next year and some ammo but guess what? He can't because they are gone. How many rifles can one man shoot in a day and because he has so many he can't make up his mind which one of his dozen or more service grade Garands to shoot. Collecting rifles is fine but not at the cost of the rest of the shooting world. I blame CMP too as they could have put in more stringent selling requirements as to how many rifles one could buy. The CMP has become that big red juicy apple and many have taken a bit of it.

mack
02-03-2015, 09:42
I have seen the "underpriced, oversold, overbought" accusations thrown at CMP for some years. The sad truth is that ANY business wants to get their goods off the shelf as fast as possible because overhead reduces the profitability the longer it stays around. CMP certainly has overhead and wants to minimize overhead costs to the final bottom line. The endowment MUST be built up so as to maintain the programs for decades. The government has made it clear that it will not be funneling anymore firearms into civiliian hands through this waluable and irreplacable program, so it had to stand on its own or see future generations left to train in the backyard with airsoft and on video games. True enough, there are many who have taken advantage and some will make fortune. I know one who made a huge sum from investing in Garands, but it was over a twenty year period, so no one got rich quickly. And the cheaper grade rifles do show up at smaller gun shows for unreasonable sums from my observation. So all your observations are true to some degree and in certain ways. But not in any conspiratorial way. Here, the business motivations come into play and is the likely answer to your questioning "Why?"And add to to all this the fear that the government may shut off the valve as they tried to do in the late 90s. Hence, a need for speed. And price.

m1ashot
02-04-2015, 04:32
Camp Perry is Ohio National Guard Base. You can thank Rep Bob Latta a fellow shooter for the tons of improvements. Cry baby? Stuff your ignorance up your poor non successful ass sorry you can't afford your hoppy, maybe the 80,000 a year board members can give you ammo

usmc69
02-04-2015, 05:34
???? Just curious. Why do you use the NS instead of the SS or do you use both?

I vist a friend that lives in Pa. once a year. We take a day trip to Camp Perry for something to do. He owns over 30 Garands.

Mtlucas0311
02-08-2015, 02:16
As much as I would have liked to see tighter requirements on rifle and ammo sales, at least the majority have been disbursed to the public. We'd all have been crying if those requirements ended up getting thousands of Garands shredded by some A-hole politician who managed to halt sales. Do I dislike the clowns who buy purely to profit, yes. but at least the rifles are out of the governments reach for the most part.

Dick Hosmer
02-08-2015, 02:35
As much as I would have liked to see tighter requirements on rifle and ammo sales, at least the majority have been disbursed to the public. We'd all have been crying if those requirements ended up getting thousands of Garands shredded by some A-hole politician who managed to halt sales. Do I dislike the clowns who buy purely to profit, yes. but at least the rifles are out of the governments reach for the most part.

Finally, after four pages, some real sense - and I don't even have a dog in this fight, just happened to see the thread on the new "preview" feature.

Orlando
02-08-2015, 02:42
at least the majority have been disbursed to the public. We'd all have been crying if those requirements ended up getting thousands of Garands shredded by some A-hole politician who managed to halt sales. Do I dislike the clowns who buy purely to profit, yes. but at least the rifles are out of the governments reach for the most part.

Well Said!!!!

CJCulpeper
03-06-2015, 08:29
Yeah. The idea of having one garand in a lifetime never did not sound good to me. Thank the Lord I found out about the CMP in 1999. I have bought ten from the CMP since 2000 and have never sold any of them. Could I sell a few at a substantial return on my money? Yes of course. However I am blessed to own every one of them and when they throw dirt in my face for the long nap the guns will be in the hands of a bunch of young guys who will enjoy them as much as I have in the past and will after the Afghan war. ...and the young dudes will get every one of them for free.

Mtlucas0311 is right. The guns are in the correct hands, our hands, and not the government shredder.

Culpeper

Allen
03-06-2015, 08:40
Finally, after four pages, some real sense - and I don't even have a dog in this fight, just happened to see the thread on the new "preview" feature.

I like the "new" feature too. It saves me a lot of time searching forums and now I read a lot of comments in forums that I previously did not visit.

dave
03-06-2015, 10:07
CMP was never supposed to be about "collectors", it was supposed to promote rifle practice. Years ago the old DCM would only sell one of each type available to a person. I belonged to a local range/club few years back and we never got didally from CMP for our youth program. Had to purchase the 'white box' 22 ammo from them, same price anyone paid. It has become a fraud as far as 'promoting rifle practice', has been since they started selling M1's in unlimited numbers to "collectors", not to mention dealers. Oh yeh, you had to sign a form saying 'not for resale' but those were given out with a 'wink-wink'!

usmc69
03-06-2015, 08:28
We all knew the day would come when CMP would run out of Garands. There was always a finite quantity to be had, and now they are pretty much gone. Yes, it a good thing that the rifles are in the hands of shooters/collectors. Hopefully, CMP will continue to function as a support for matches and such.

Roadkingtrax
03-06-2015, 08:37
What is the CMP fraudulent of?

dave
03-07-2015, 05:39
Go back and read what I said, pretty clear what I meant!!

fogerty
03-13-2015, 07:07
Amen!

PeteDavis
03-14-2015, 05:49
They changed their sales policies to get the rifles out before the politics got bad. Privatization dictated that they pack the endowment while they could.
That's not fraud.
They still run the matches.

PD

Latigo 1
03-14-2015, 08:08
Go back and read what I said, pretty clear what I meant!!
I did, and the only conclusion I can come to is that you do not understand the mission of the CMP.
The mission of the Civilian Marksmanship Program is to Promote Firearm Safety and Marksmanship Training With an Emphasis on Youth. Our Vision is That Every Youth in America Has the Opportunity to Participate in Firearm Safety and Marksmanship Programs.
The CMP could not generate enough money to fund all thier programs if they limited sales to one per customer. Thier present policy is not intended to put M1 Garands into civilian hands to be used to shoot. Thier youth training program teaches kids way to young and small to shoot a Garand. Thier policy is to sell these rifles to generate the funds necessary to teach these youths. Our CMP affiliated club has eight or nine Garands they bought from the DCM years ago. I don't think they have been out of the safe in the last ten years, but during that time our youth program has taught hundreds of kids gun safety and shooting skills using 22's. No fraud, just good business sense, and thier programs have been successful in accomplishing thier mission.

03-14-2015, 02:23

And it took a "grunt" to get it right. Semper Fi 0311