PDA

View Full Version : My very first M1, SRS check if I may?

BlackJackID
01-27-2015, 02:29
About 2 weeks ago I finally acquired my first M1 Garand. I am a proud papa, but dont have a lot of knowledge on the MANY subtle nuances of this great arm. I have been reading exhaustively through forums and the many online sites dedicated to the knowledge of this rifle. I have wanted one ever since I fired my first one, when I happened to be a "junior woodchuck" in Major Culvers JROTC class at kellogg.

What6 I do know of this rifle is it was produced in september of '42. S#836588 , the barrel was put on 4-64 and is serialed to the receiver. It does not look like it was ever reparked and shows a generous amount of honest wear.

All the small parts are marked SA, and are correct drawing number for the serial. The stock shows a lot of wear, with a few bullet dents on right side. the Serrified "P" is visible just behind the trigger guard, and the "S.A. G.H.S." is readable on the left side. The crossed cannons are barely visible but unreadable. in the stock it has a dented but serviceable nickle plated cleaning kit, with all accessories intact, and a combination tool, the kind that took patches, not the chamber brush. I havent found alot of info on these yet.

There appears to be no muzzle wear at all, and bore looks to be new.

I was wanting to know an approximate value for insurance purposes, as well as maybe an SRS check if someone has the time and inclination to help a newbie out.

Sincerely
Blackjack

01-27-2015, 03:30
Sounds like you found a nice one, Value on insurance 1100. forum value 950.00

BlackJackID
01-28-2015, 02:19
Thanks very much for the reply..as with any collectible there are so many variables I didnt know if I had a 400 dollar m1 or a 1500 dollar m1..

da gimp
01-28-2015, 02:42
I'm not sure if it might not be worth more........see if Rick Borecky or some of the guys chime in on the originality of the stock, & if you have access to a throat erosion gauge & a muzzle wear gauge , post what those readings are too........congrats on picking up a fine old rifle, and welcome to the Major's & Gloria's Jousters........I suspect you already know that you were blessed in having him for a teacher/instructor.

BlackJackID
01-28-2015, 02:59
Thanks, and yes I was very blessed. One of the best men I ever knew. Was able to spend alot of time with him for rifle team and drill team practices, plus a few days just plinking around a bit at the range. Learned more in those four years than most could hope to in a lifetime.

I dont have recall the gauged readings, but it was checked with a gauge and I was told no appreciable wear at throat or muzzle..Like new barrel