PDA

View Full Version : 1898 Carbine ?

Jkibler2
01-22-2015, 05:23
Hi All,
Last week I looked at a possible 1898 carbine. Everything I've seen or read seems to say avoid at all cost, too many fakes. Here are the particulars; Ser. number 119391, 1901 rear sight marked C, hump HG, no sling bar, unreadable cartouche with faint P. The front sight blade looked like a replacement, brass colored. It also had after market sling swivels. The stock could have been right though because I learned that these were updated to the 1899 stock. Price was 1450.00. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
BTW, glad the board is up again.

11mm
01-22-2015, 06:32
Whether or not it started out as an 1898 carbine (and the serial number certainly indicates that possibility), the price seems too high. I have one fairly close in serial number and details (less the after market swivels) and paid a lot less on Gunbroker a couple of years ago. Pictures always help. The after market sling swivels really do detract, though some carbines apparently did have government installed sling swivels. See Joe Farmer's book for an evaluation of these carbines.

dave
01-22-2015, 06:38
Not all were updated to 99 configuration, in fact it is unknown how many were, I believe. Dick???

Dick Hosmer
01-22-2015, 07:40
Joe may have found some supporting records, but my understanding has always been that the vast majority were upgraded. If everything else looks good, and has consistant wear, color, etc., I'd say that one would be a definite possibility. I know that I have been one of the largest detractors of "Model 1898 Carbines" in general, with specific attention to the novice, but, the pieces encountered are not all bad, and with 5000 made, there are still some around. However, once converted, they basically become Model 1899 carbines - the tough thing to find is the right stock, and of course the 96C sight, which was scarce 40 years ago. I would not pay a premium price unless it was in the original configuration, even with the full acceptance that it might be an assembly of correct parts. No one alive today has had continuous custody of their treasures since manufacture, so no one can say with ironclad 100% certainty what is "right" and what is not. The most we can do is educate ourselves, and then make the best decisions that we can, based on our knowledge. 1898 carbines fall into a definite window, but the glass is very dirty.

Jkibler2
01-22-2015, 07:58
Thank You for the info gentlemen.

Kragrifle
01-23-2015, 05:22
Good serial number. Long (1899 style) stock with a cartouche should be from an 1899 carbine. While there are a few 1896 carbines in long and sling ring stocks dated 1901, as far as I have been able to tell all the other long stock conversions will not be dated (firing proofed, do not think so). This carbine is a mix of parts and the addition of the sling swivels definitely hurts.