PDA

View Full Version : Correct bullet length

Shadow
01-06-2015, 07:25
When loading shells for the Garand what is the best way to get the best length for acturacy? I see people talk about the ogive to prevent bullet jump. Any thoughts.

jd:^)
01-06-2015, 01:53
One thought. You might have better luck getting an answer if you posted this question over here:

http://www.jouster.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?21-The-Reloading-Bench

just a suggestion

Ted Brown
01-06-2015, 03:25
Stoney Point makes a gage that measures the length of the throat in relation to the length of the chamber. It's common to set up the cartridge length so the ogive is about .005" short of contact in the throat. The gage is available from Midway.

joem
01-06-2015, 05:08
I use the Stoney Point gauge but my setback is .010.

Hefights
01-07-2015, 10:02
You are referring to cartridge OAL. (Bullet length is a different definition.) In shooting a semi auto rifle, like the M1 Garand, for proper function and stability of the loaded cartridge, i.e. maintaining integrity of the seated bullet during cycling and preventing failure to feed, function is more important. Military rifles typically have long throats, yet still shoot very accurately with high quality ammo. For a semi auto and normal shooting, recommend you use the OAL shown in the loading manual data for the specific bullet type. I load Hornady 150 gr M80 type FMJBT bullets for Garand, they have to be seated relatively short to be firmly seated, yet are very accurate despite long bullet jump. With 168 MK I am running 3.30 OAL and extremely accurate ammo. The proper components, working up a good load, following good reloading and case preparation procedures, and proper shooting technique make more of a difference in normal M1 Garand shooting.

If I seated the bullets out to be just short of touching the riflling, they would not function reliably in semiauto cycling, nor would I have 1 bullet diameter in seating depth which is recommended by Sierra for their bullets in this application. If you are single loading for competition in slow fire at mid or long ranges, that can be a little different issue.

Ted Brown
01-07-2015, 10:58
In this case the question was in regard to accuracy, not functioning. It's required to not exceed cartridge overall length when magazine feeding for everything to function properly as noted. However, the ogive of the bullet in relation to the barrel throat can influence accuracy. Many heavy bullets used in long range shooting require the bullet to be set forward, closer if not touching the lands in the throat. This often results in cartridges that are too long for magazine loading and proper feeding. If one is loading for magazine feeding reliability rather than the best accuracy, with any given bullet weight, that's fine. Then don't worry about the ogive.

Sunray
01-07-2015, 11:29
Forget the ogive and load to have 3.340" as the OAL, regardless of the bullet weight. Measured from the point of the bullet to the flat base and you'll be fine.
The ogive is the arc of the bullet from the side to the point. Only matters, mostly, for target rifles with match grade barrels.
Unless you have such a barrel on your M1, it won't matter. With a standard barrel(sights and trigger, as well), you can only get so much accuracy(forget low MOA groups. A regular M1 Rifle won't do it. Consistent 2 or 3 inch groups, at 100, is good.), but using 168 grain, match bullets and IMR4064(vs IMR4895. The 4064 is more consistently accurate.) with meticulous loading techniques, helps.

RED
01-25-2015, 03:58
The OAL is easy to determine and does not require any expensive equipment to measure. Using the bullet you are using, field strip the weapon. Drop the selected projectile lnto the chamber using and secure it there using cotton balls, a pencil eraser, or whatever. Insert a 1/4" diameter wood dowell (or a cleaning rod) into the barrel...carefully mark the rod/dowell at the muzzle.

Remove the bullet and replace the bolt. Repeat the steps with the dowell and mark it carefully (I use a single edge razor blade).

The difference is the length of the chamber from the bolt face to the rifling.

I acquired a beautiful full Manlicher stocked, custom built, 1903 by the Fajun custom shop In 1973. It was a disappointing 4 MOA gun until I measured the chamber and found it to be significantly longer than SAAMI specs.

Now, I only shoot rounds rhat has an OAL that only has .005 - 010 "jump." The little gun throws a 3 shot cloverleaf at 100 yards.

UUURah
01-26-2015, 06:19
Why not just stick a bullet tip lightly on to an empty case, insert it lightly into the chamber, lightly close the bolt, and you have the exact length of the chamber. Shorten it .005 - 010" and you have THE exact OAL for THIS particular rifle.

Of course this may be long for Clip Loading but we are talking about maximum OAL.

Ted Brown
01-26-2015, 03:59
Some people actually do that. However, loads with bullets that touch the lands tend to create higher chamber pressures so one should be careful...

Dollar Bill
01-28-2015, 12:50
A fired case won't hold the bullet and a resized case usually has too much neck tension to get an accurate reading: The bullet gets jammed in to the lands.

Red's method works well. You can also take an old case, resize it and cut a slit in the neck to the shoulder. That will allow the bullet to seat in the case accurately. As pointed out, that's against the lands so set your seating die .010 deeper.

All that said, I have 2 Garands and neither shoots any better with jacketed bullets seated any longer then magazine length. I have some cast bullet loads that do better seated long but they aren't powerful enough to cycle the action anyway.

Hefights
01-28-2015, 07:49
For an average or unmodified M1 Garand in an application such as plinking or casual shooting by an average shooter, there are other factors more important for accuracy. In this application, as stated, caution is in order. Trying to seat off the lands can lead to trouble with function or opposite effect on accuracy, especially if one happens to be less experienced.