PDA

View Full Version : Bullet-point stock dents

glindes
01-04-2015, 04:53
Evening folks. I'm hoping you might direct me to a procedure or method for removing or relieving bullet-tip dents from walnut stocks. The stocks are in good solid condition, nice grain, no gouges, with cartouches and channel numbers (2752 & 3162). One looks like a good hit with #9 shot @ 20 yds. Nothing specific in Lanes Tips. I have a stock iron on order from Brownells. Thanks, Geoff in DE

kcw
01-04-2015, 05:02
Such dents can often be raised by wetting the wood and then placing a damp cloth over the area, and then applying heat to the cloth with an electric iron. I've also had better success by using the steam blast from a whistle type tea kettle. Direct the steam blast onto the wood, maybe three or four inches away from the kettle spout. You'll want to wear gloves and ear muffs.

dryheat
01-04-2015, 06:03
It might take three or four tries. Keep at it. If the dents haven't broken the fiber of the wood it might work. Real holes are for good. Ear muffs, thats funny.

Tuna
01-05-2015, 07:37
A damp cloth and an old steam iron work excellent and as dryheat said as long as the wood fibers are intact the dents will rise and disappear. I was able to raise the wood on a carbine stock with a very deep FAT stamp on it to the point the stamp almost disappeared...but...not quite. Still took over 3/4 of the stamp out so a steam iron does work. Just remember the damp cloth will pickup oils and dirt from the stock too so you might want to clean and remove old oil from the stock first. Gives the steam more of a chance to sink in.

kidsgun
01-05-2015, 07:52
Tuna,
What method(s) do you use to clean the wood?

joem
01-05-2015, 08:17
I have one or two with those dents. I would never even try to remove them. They were put there by a soldier that used this rifle and maybe in battle. Seem a sacrilege to remove them. JMHO and it's my rifle!

dryheat
01-05-2015, 09:06
Here's a stock I worked on for a couple of days. The dents didn't disappear and like joem feels, I kind of like the history. Evidently the shooter was left handed; usually the dents are on the other side of the stock. Dang.I'm seeing a crack starting at the clip latch indent. I'll fix that.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/jerryjeff/untitled_zps68e1dc0c.jpg

mike24d20
01-06-2015, 04:50
Holes made when tapping rounds into enblock clip. Same idea used today when tapping rounds into line in a mag. ( rapping mag. on boot heel or on helmet to ensure proper feeding ).

gulliver62
01-06-2015, 02:47
As Tuna said, the iron and damp cloth method removes the old finish. Be prepared to refinish the whole stock or have some spots that are significantly lighter.

StockDoc
01-06-2015, 03:22
Leave them, part of the history of the rifle. If you want a undented stock, buy a new one from say, Dupage.

Sunray
01-07-2015, 11:36
No wetting of the wood is necessary. Just the wet, but not dripping, cloth(a face cloth works well) and a normal iron, set on cotton, will raise 'em as much as they will raise. Only does so much though. Won't do anything to cut fibres. The steam will also raise any cartouches, so watch where you put the cloth.
Won't remove a tung oil finish, but might pull out some BLO.

musketshooter
01-20-2015, 07:29
Those look a lot more like worm holes. Bullet tip dents are usually quite symmetrical and spaced as they would be in the clips.

mack
01-21-2015, 02:00
No one seems to have added that patience is the key to removing dents from a stock. There is no quick-fix for taking patience and time. I once spent more than two weeks removing dents from a stock I acquired from CMP and the results were not a "new stock" but rather one that looked less abused and was dent-free. If it hadn't been a desirable H&R stock I might not have tried so hard. So much for that though. Slow down, let the steam and wood work together. If the dent doesn't come out the first time or two, let the wood dry thoroughly so the fibers can relax and return to their natural, un-dented state. Then try again. And, like one poster said, even deeply cut numbers and letters will eventually release and be raised. I think two weeks worth of dent removal may certainly be extreme, but money spent to replace a stock is pretty extreme as well. I don't have money to waste and I would rather have an original stock that has been cleaned than a replacement, although Dupage's items as extremely nice.

Go back to your stock, but first use a good quality stripper to remove as much finish or sub-surface oil as you can. This will allow the water to penetrate and expand those wood fibers so they can swell and smooth when heat is applied. Never use any setting on a steam iron except "Cotton" as you want all the heat you can get. I have never used a steam kettle, but use whatever suits you. I prefer and have had good luck with an iron and lots of heat through a sopping wet terry cloth washcloth. Keep it wet and TAKE YOUR TIME. All that "battlefield character" is mostly rack wear anyway but it will take time to remove. Good luck and keep trying. I have been using this method since 2002 and it hasn't failed me. It won't work on broken wood fiber though so pick your fights carefully.

donb
01-24-2015, 08:27
Leave them, part of the history of the rifle. If you want a undented stock, buy a new one from say, Dupage.

I second leaving them. I regret messing with the history of many of my earlier Garands, can't hit the undo button though.

jonnyo55
01-24-2015, 09:15
Regarding what Musketshooter said regarding worm holes...if that's what they are, the steam treatment will only waste your time and give you a blotchy stock. Those holes got there by worms eating their way in; the wood is gone, turned to worm poop long ago.

To tell whether these are bullet points or wormholes, try sticking a wire like a paper clip into them. If the wire sinks in to any appreciable degree, you've got wormholes.

meterman
01-24-2015, 02:25
I remember the instructors on the range telling us in no uncertain terms to not do that..use the steel buttplate, instead.

fogerty
01-25-2015, 05:44
I agree with joem. Took me a long time to figure out the less I did to the stock, the more original it is and the more I like it. Have a Dane with bullet indents and left it alone. Glad I did.
I did.

joem
01-26-2015, 05:46
I agree with joem. Took me a long time to figure out the less I did to the stock, the more original it is and the more I like it. Have a Dane with bullet indents and left it alone. Glad I did.
I did.

Good for you. I'v had people at the range ask why I haven't removed those. It's part of history and I would not remove them, ever.

Bill E
01-27-2015, 05:44
I agree, I'd leave them also. As to removing dents, I've used the dishwater method that was recommended here some time ago. Seemed to work OK but best done when other family members are not around. I've also read that Bob Seijas used a strong granulated soap (don't recollect the name) and soaking the stock in the bath tub with good results.

m1ashot
01-27-2015, 05:45
Boy I got a nice IHC from S America the but stock had these all over. You can clean a stock re oil to look orginal even with sanding , but you need to be careful sanding a stock.