PDA

View Full Version : FILTHY gas system parts

Ltdave
01-04-2015, 01:12
i picked up an 1.8m SA relatively recently with a new criterion tube...

i was looking at it a LITTLE BIT closer and saw that the gas system was FILTHY with carbon...

im wondering if the gas cylinder is leaking or if the oprod button is worn since ive got soot on the oprod down the the way...

do the gas cylinders wear out or is it mostly the oprod?

Twinson
01-04-2015, 01:41
That is normal. If you look at the rear of the gas cylinder that is a portion that is milled away on the back to let excess gas escape. That escaping gas soots up the op rod.

bd1
01-04-2015, 01:46
That is normal. If you look at the rear of the gas cylinder that is a portion that is milled away on the back to let excess gas escape. That escaping gas soots up the op rod.

Get out the brake cleaner and a dowel rod and some patches on the g/c. You might benefit by peening and tightening while it's down for service anyway.

Ltdave
01-04-2015, 06:04
ive been playing with Garands since 1986 (Air Force Honor Guard) but for the life of me i dont recall this kind of mess. almost like it was shot with black power loads...

thanks!

musketshooter
01-04-2015, 08:34
It is possible that someone has been shooting reloads with very slow burning powder.

bd1
01-04-2015, 11:31
Ball powder burns greasier than 4895.

UUURah
01-05-2015, 06:26
Well, according to some on here, you only need to clean it ONCE a YEAR. Nothing can happen.

It won't rust ... it won't pit ....... OPRods are cheap.

Major Tom
01-05-2015, 07:32
Perhaps the previous owner oiled the inside of the gas cylinder, a no-no. Some soot will be blown back onto the oprod and will cleanup easily. Oil inside the gas cylinder and on oprod tip will collect soot in large amounts resulting in hard carbon.