PDA

View Full Version : 284 winchester help wanted.. revive the old to what It should have been !

RULOJOE
01-01-2015, 08:33
I Need some 284 win brass and dies .. a very Ballistcally Coefficient longer ranger bullet 154gr.? ..suggestions welcome, BC. 550 + good but fair priced....!! 600 yard range maybe.Win model 10O's..... but they are not set up for BR or F class Sooo .oh also 308 bullet 168 gr BC .500+ suggestions welcome, i want these to be my long rage hunting / target rifles . both calibers not much different but probably not repeatable 1000 yard capable. bit the old girls may fool ya !! Crossed fingers .. One shot maybe !!!! (Hope) and i want the full potential of the factory cartridges !! But again 284 fun is my main goal .. i dont really wanna neck up 6.5 x 284 .. but i can if need be with the tool from ( N&k ???? ) I also have a lathe...factory type crimp or not ? Sorry wrong spot to post in this form maybe.. I got side tracked ! I may move this . Thanks Joe ...My Email is RULOJOE@GMAIL. Text785-633-6698 :hello:

Matt Anthony
01-30-2015, 03:09
I Need some 284 win brass and dies .. a very Ballistcally Coefficient longer ranger bullet 154gr.? ..suggestions welcome, BC. 550 + good but fair priced....!! 600 yard range maybe.Win model 10O's..... but they are not set up for BR or F class Sooo .oh also 308 bullet 168 gr BC .500+ suggestions welcome, i want these to be my long rage hunting / target rifles . both calibers not much different but probably not repeatable 1000 yard capable. bit the old girls may fool ya !! Crossed fingers .. One shot maybe !!!! (Hope) and i want the full potential of the factory cartridges !! But again 284 fun is my main goal .. i dont really wanna neck up 6.5 x 284 .. but i can if need be with the tool from ( N&k ???? ) I also have a lathe...factory type crimp or not ? Sorry wrong spot to post in this form maybe.. I got side tracked ! I may move this . Thanks Joe ...My Email is RULOJOE@GMAIL. Text785-633-6698 :hello:

You would be better served with a 7mm/08 or even a 7X57 in my opinion. The 284 has been dead in the water since its creation. It was never popular nor was it a barn burner. Some cartridges as the 6 mm Rem. do not make it. That is life!
Matt

Tuna
01-30-2015, 07:30
The problem with the Winchester .284 was the bullet had to be seated so deep in the case that the powder capacity was limited by it. This is not a problem with a bolt action rifle with a long action. But the original rifles were set up on the .308 size case in the Winchester 100 and the 88. and the short over all length so the round would work in the magazine of the rifles. To be honest I think the best range for the Winchester model 100 or 88 is the 300 to 400 yards max. The 100 is in general a very accurate rifle in all the calibers it was made in but it is not a target grade rifle by any means.

Former Cav
01-31-2015, 10:16
also 308 bullet 168 gr BC .500+ suggestions welcome, i want these to be my long rage hunting / target rifles . both calibers not much different but probably not repeatable 1000 yard capable.

I don't know about your rifle.
but this is what I've used for 1000 yards in a pre 64 model 70 winchester action built by a pro for target shooting with a 1 in 10 twist Kreiger Barrel.
175 Grain Sierra Match king bullet. I used R/P Nickel plated brass as it was easier to find in the grass then brass. Nickel also kind of acts like a lube although you still MUST lube your case for reloading, it requires much less force on my dillon 550 and my fragile OLD body. 45.0 grains of Varget, and STANDARD large rifle pistol primers from Winchester.
go here for B.C. on that bullet. https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/2275/308-dia-175-gr-HPBT-MatchKing

Remember. All DISCLAIMERS apply. Your rifle / chamber / throat is DIFFERENT then mine. Reduce all loads 10 percent and work up from there!!!

Gib
02-15-2015, 07:40
Rulojoe,
I am a fan of the .284 and I wouldn't count it out just yet. There have been lots of custom bolt rifles chambered for it. I have a model 88 and a custom bolt rifle chambered in .284 that I am in the process of developing a load for it. I found the following article to be of interest and you may find it helpful as well.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rfrailey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/284loaddata.pdf

Matt Anthony
05-12-2015, 02:39
Thought I found some brass for you at powder valley, but it was bullets under "specials"!
Matt