PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand Date of Manufacture

gunner312
01-01-2015, 05:59
Well, I posted a picture earlier of the Garand I assembled for my Grandson. Because of School, he won't actually get it until June when he comes to visit for the summer.

I'd like to find out when it was made. It is Serial number Springfield Armory, SN 5,95X,XXX. I think that this may be kind of late in the manufacturing cycle maybe even close to the last year of manufacture? I have no idea how to tell. Anyone out there have a clue?

Well once again, he has a photo of it on the wall of his room and will get the rifle as soon as school is over.

BTW, He has been accepted to the Naval Academy, now all we need is an appointment. If the Academy doesn't come through he has also been accepted to Texas A & M in the Aerospace Engineering program. Either way is good but he'd rather go to Annapolis. Kid wants to be a Marine Corps fighter pilot.

Semper Fidelis, ,

Jim Wright

StockDoc
01-01-2015, 06:13
Sir: first off that is great about your son, I can tell you are very proud.

http://myplace.frontier.com/~aleccorapinski/id11.html This site give the born dates, but it is said the records, manufacture dates, for the post war rifle is not as complete as the war years. The dates basically say the general date that the serial number was assigned. Along with the date on an original barrel, you can get with in +/- 3 months the completion of the rifle,

Once again Congratulations.

Dan Shapiro
01-01-2015, 06:28
SWAG: Late 1955 (Oct-Dec).

SA 5453504 w/barrel dated 12-54
SA 6082546 w/barrel dated 2-56

dryheat
01-01-2015, 08:27
Might be late, but how would we know? Sometime in 19xx

jsaviano
01-02-2015, 04:18
I have SA 5953XXX w/2-56 (orig) SA barrel.