PDA

View Full Version : c m p M1

remus
12-27-2014, 09:46
I have acquired a CMP rebuilt M1 in .308. 1942 Springfield receiver, new Criterion barrel in .308, new CMP wood stock, everything else looks really good. Have paperwork, sling and an M1 clip with it. Unfired in the box.

What would a fair asking price for this rifle. I have three M1's and one is already a .308. Don't need or want another as I'm not a collector, just a shooter.

Thanks

gulliver62
12-27-2014, 01:23
Sounds a lot like a CMP Special which go for $995 direct from the CMP, so less than that.

UUURah
12-29-2014, 07:25
I wouldn't touch it until I can FIRE it, unless of course it has truly been "test fired". Actually all the naysayers who claim a weapon as "Never FIRED" are probably stretching the truth anyway.

I have an M-1 with a .308 barrel. When I first installed it and toted it to the range, it was throwing the empty cases OVER 20 Feet to the right. That would play he11 in a match with others on the firing line.

After posing the question on here, I think it was Gus who said to pull the ejector out of the bolt, clip a ring off the spring, try it, and clip another if necessary. After I think only one clip off the spring, it now neatly ejects the empties 3 feet to the right. But that bolt/ejector spring needs to stay with that rifle.

If I had sold that to someone "unfired", they would have been hopping mad.

remus
12-29-2014, 07:45
This rifle is very clean and new looking. What I mean by unfired is that the original owner never fired it. I've never shot it either and don't intend to. I'm pretty sure when rifles are built they are shot for function and proofed. I don't thing any modern American firearm leaves the factory or build location without being shot at least a couple of times for testing.

StockDoc
12-29-2014, 07:55
Why not shoot and enjoy it. Garands are a heck of a lot of fun to shoot