PDA

View Full Version : The Snider Bug Has Bit Me

BruceHMX
12-19-2014, 05:58
I need one like a hole in the head. My Son has been home sick this week. So needless to say I have had a lot of time on my hands. Being a Martini and Commonwealth small arm fan occasionally I would look at them. But I think I might take the jump soon.

What say all? A Mark II or III? Three band, Sgt's Pattern or a carbine?

I have decided to stay away from the IMA versions and probably pick one up from Joe Salter.

I reload so that would be the next challenge.

Any helpful comments appreciated.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

JB White
12-19-2014, 11:53
Was bitten by that bug myself and played with them too. I had an AC/IMA/Nepal Snider. Cleaned up well. Didn't stand up to much firing though. Things began to go wrong and kept getting worse. Others had better and are getting better mileage from theirs. Crap shoot.

You can find a lot of DC carbines out there. Canadian conversions of former rifles. Brass can be made from 24gauge brass shotshells or just cut down plastic 24 g hulls. The CBC brass uses boxer primers while the hulls use the shotgun type. At close to intermediate ranges a .595 or .600 diameter round ball works fine over 70 grains of 2F.

Joe Salter? If he's got 'em you'll surely pay for 'em. :) Try watching the auction sites.

Dies are the 1 1/4" body opposed to the 7/8" we're mostly accustomed to. Need a press that will handle that. Being a Martini fan you're probably already aware of that, but new readers won't be. You should/might be able to get away with thumb loading using plastic hulls. I opted for brass and had to form it before it would chamber.

The short rifles are certainly handy and look nice in full wood. The long rifles typically have three groove barrels at a slow twist opposed to the quicker 5 grooves in the shorties and carbines. Unless the carbine is a cutdown rifle of course.

MkII* or MkIII...the only difference is in the latching. Go for the best, most complete, and undinked one you can find. They really are a lot of fun.

Nepal "Sergeants Rifle". Looks good, shot great, then got disappointing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/JBWhite/Snider/SniderNepal.jpg

British-made carbine. Night vs day in regard to quality:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/JBWhite/Snider/SniderCarbineRtLt.jpg

BruceHMX
12-19-2014, 03:43
JB I know. I shake my head. I might find a good old girl needing a home and then it turns into a nightmare. The other part of me says get a 577 Enfield muzzle loader and let it go.

Also like you said, get it and it's great then after 20 rounds gone. Man I am done with projects. Maybe put it in the Bren semi category LOL!!

I love my Martini's both 577 and Cadets and they all shoot well. Guess I lucked out.