PDA

View Full Version : CMP Rimfire Match Rifles question

BuckeyeShooter
12-17-2014, 11:40
I'd like to shoot the CMP rim fire matches. I have a Ruger bull barreled 10/22 with slits for scope only on the rifle. It also has no sling. Any recommendations?

What scope have you found to be sturdy and reliable for this discipline?

Ruger announced a drop in trigger group for the 10/22 with a trigger pull less than the CMP allowed 3.0 pounds. I contacted Ruger for any info that would allow slightly more than three pounds. Info to follow hopefully.

Jim in Salt Lake
12-17-2014, 04:47
I like this one from Nikon http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Nikon-Products/Riflescopes/P-Rimfire-2-7x32-Matte-BDC-150.html. You'd have to set it at 6X and then tape the knob per the rules. Make sure your rifle, with the scope, doesn't weigh over 7.5 pounds. Some of the bull barrels for the 10/22 can get heavy and put you over weight. I'm a sling shooter so I'd put some swivels on.

BuckeyeShooter
12-19-2014, 11:52
Thanks Jim. I see I will need to purchase a rifle quicky as my target model 10/22 is at 7.5 lbs without scope or sling. If you had to buy a rifle right now for this event, what would be your preference?

The name Nikon sounds pricy for 100 yards max. Are there others could you suggest for small bore & rough service?

Jim in Salt Lake
12-19-2014, 12:44
That's the scope I have, I like it because of the exposed turrets and the adjustments are consistent and repeatable. I've been stung by too many cheap .22 scopes. Any light, reasonably accurate rifle can be used. I use an older Marlin model 39 lever action.

BuckeyeShooter
12-19-2014, 01:12
I clicked on your link and that price isn't too bad, and your recomendation is worth something too.

BuckeyeShooter
01-05-2015, 06:09
I received the new 10/22 sporter, game reaper US made one piece rings that bolted right onto the receiver and the scope you recommended. At 50 feet, the reticle world fuzz out when the target was put in focus. So I backed off the power to 5 and was able to get focus of target AND crosshairs. I think its a 50 foot thing fir this scope. But, it shoots a bug hole with 10 rounds off the bench at 50 as it should with CCI Std Velocity,

High Plaines Doug r
02-15-2015, 08:09
I just shot the CMP rimfire match at my club yesterday with a standard bbl Ruger 10-22 and a Burris 4x rimfire parallax adjustable scope mounted on the receiver with Ruger's rail. With 4x I can easily see the x ring on the targets at 50 and 25 yds and I find greater magnification distracting. For the record, I shot a 580-21x and 12 of my lost points were in sitting because I'm short, old, fat and have creaky knees. I used a leather, cobra style sling this time but a canvas, M1 Carbine sling detached at the rear swivel is a better option.

Jim in Salt Lake
02-16-2015, 09:56
My scope will focus at 50 feet when my eyes will. Using that Norma TAC ammo I only change my elevation 3 clicks between 25 and 50 yards.

NuJudge
02-18-2015, 03:06
I use a Nikon 1.65-5 Turkey Pro scope. It works well for me.

You need to shoot high speed with most out-of-the-box 1022 rifles to get reliability, but that stuff is rarely accurate. There are a lot of discussions on Rimfire Central about minor (and major) mods one can do to improve function with standard velocity, which is much more accurate.

On Rimfire Central, there are a lot of discussions about the new drop in Ruger trigger. Read them for yourself. Years ago I went with a trigger job by one of several 'smiths that are members on RFC and that specialize in them. If you go this route, have your trigger weight set a bit higher than the minimum.