PDA

View Full Version : "loaded " Thompson Center

Kragrifle
12-01-2014, 05:15
I have very little experience with muzzle loaders, but when a friend asked me to check out his Grandfather's Thompson Center muzzle loader, I knew enough to drop the rammer in to see if it is loaded. Turns out it seems to be as there is about 3/4 of an inch filled with something, likely a charge. He had a screw which would bite into something soft, but would not hold. My options seem to be:
1. Find a small, early cap and try firing it out-not my first choice

2. I have ordered a CO2 device from Cabela's that introduces a burst of gas from a pellet gun cylinder-do these work and are they safe?

3. Years ago I bought and restored an 1842 Springfield musket that had at least one load in it. Removed this with a friend's tool- a just under 69 cal drill welded to a long steel rod used to grind, or drill out the load-worked well-may not have been the safest thing to do, but worked many times for him

4. Another way?

I would appreciate any and all advice.

SMOKEY
12-01-2014, 06:05
Try pulling breech plug. I think that model has one. Can you tell by feel if you are hitting lead or packed powder. If powder try boiling hot water to soften it up.

k arga
12-01-2014, 03:11
DO NOT TRY TO DEBREECH THE GUN, they were put in very tight. from the back of the barrel you will have a bout 1/2 to 5/8 in of plug, tc has patent breech, sounds like not loaded, pull the nipple and put aircompressor to it, if flint put air to the touch hole blow it out, aim in safe direction.

paul v
12-01-2014, 04:18
If you are sure it's loaded, use an air compressor or c02 discharger (I love mine). If you don't have acess to those, pull the nipple, go to an auto parts store and get a grease fitting threaded in 1/4-28. use a grease gun to push it out. Messy, but it should work.

DRAGONFLYDF
12-01-2014, 04:53
try this
https://www.facebook.com/shoot.the.guns.of.history/posts/1542037309369680
this is how I cleared a Cabellas Hawkins that had a ram rod broken off in it.

Johnny P
12-02-2014, 03:35
The breechplugs were installed and then dressed down. In the event you could pull the breechplug, you will end up buggering the edges, and it won't tighten back up to the same place without showing.

The local gunsmith has a steel rod with a screw welded to it that he uses to pull loaded muzzleloaders. He first pulls the nipple and kills the powder with oil, then chucks the rod up in an electric drill and removes the load. It is amazing how many are loaded and left that way for years.

DRAGONFLYDF
12-02-2014, 04:21
The grease gun method is quick and easy, just pull the nipple and replace it with a grease zerk, mine used a metric sized fitting.

Kragrifle
12-02-2014, 07:07
Thanks to all. Just got my CO2 kit from Cabelas. Will let you know what happens! :0)