PDA

View Full Version : Need another lesson here....how do you achieve a cheek-weld?

mdoerner
01-23-2010, 05:15
Hi All,

Another realization I'm coming to is that on the M1 Garand and M1917, I can't achieve a cheek-weld. (If I do, then I'm looking directly thru the bore, rather than at the sights.) On my Browning T-Bolt w/ Monte-Carlo raised do-dad on the butt, this is no problem. I have been using a jaw-weld, but that is obviously not as good for achieving a good "locked-in" position on the firing line. Also, I tend to "retract" or "pull-back" my noggin in the standing stage (gets me closer to a cheek-weld), lengthening my distance to the rear sight, but in the prone stages, I am leaning forward and my MK I eyeball is a lot closer.

Any tips on keeping my scrawny head in the same position going from stage-to-stage? I'm 6'-0" and 180 lbs, so I don't have a "full-figure", if that helps on the advice given.

Mike Doerner

Maury Krupp
01-23-2010, 08:12
Watch this video.

http://www.archive.org/details/Rifle_Marksmanship_with_M1_Rifle_Part_1

If it doesn't work on your machine do a search for "Rifle Marksmanship With the M-1 Rifle" to find other sites that may be more friendly.

Maury

lesrles
01-24-2010, 04:36
A small piece of tape or bandaid on the stock works well. Try it.

mdoerner
01-24-2010, 12:18
DOH! I had it (the marksmanship movie) sitting on my hard drive all this time.......Looks like I'll be viewing this movie rather than the boob-tube this evening.....thanks.

Mike Doerner