PDA

View Full Version : Modern .22 ammo in vintage rifles

HoosierNative
11-28-2014, 04:51
I have recently found myself interested in early .22 rifles. I am confused about what ammo can be shot through certain rifles. I have recently acquired a Winchester 1890 "Long" made 1907, Winchester 62A LR, S or Long made 1948, and a Marlin 39 LR made early to mid 20's.

From what I have read, damage to the barrel can be caused by using modern high velocity and copper or plated ammo??? Softer steel of the period? I'm looking to be educated on what to safely use in each of these rifles as I plan to get them out occasionally to shoot. Thanks in advance! and yes I know that long is different than long rifle.

JimF
11-28-2014, 05:08
Your 62A and Marlin 39 are OK for modern ammo . . . .

If you ever acquire a Stevens "visible-loader" do NOT use any high speed ammo in it. Only "standard velocity" is advised!
The breech locking mechanism in this rifle is EXTREMELY ANEMIC!
So much so, I think SAMI would come down hard on this design if it were manufactured today! --Jim

HoosierNative
11-28-2014, 05:37
Thanks Jim. Can the copper plated be used or only the non jacketed ones. Also, any ideas on the 1890? Appreciate the info.

slumlord44
11-28-2014, 10:51
All .22 bullets are lead. Plating is no problem, none are jacketed. When in doubt use standard velocity ammo. All target ammo is standard velocity. .22 longs are available as well as .22 long cb's which would be fine in the long chambered guns. I use target grade in almost all of my Stevens single shots. The low end stuff is fine for plinking. I use some of the better stuff to see just how good a group I can get out the actual target guns.

PhillipM
11-29-2014, 07:27
If you branch off into pistols, the early Colt Woodsmans were standard velocity only as denoted by checkering on the mainspring housing. If it's horizontal parallel lines, it can shoot anything.

http://www.colt22.com/1hsls.jpg

Sunray
11-29-2014, 10:16
"...none are jacketed..." There are actual jacketed .22's, now. Hornady, I think. Still won't bother any rifle. Used No. 7 Lee-Enfields(forget their manufacture dates. 1940's maybe.) for years with standard velocity ammo. HV wouldn't bother 'em either.

usmc69
11-29-2014, 12:09
"...none are jacketed..." There are actual jacketed .22's, now. Hornady, I think. Still won't bother any rifle. Used No. 7 Lee-Enfields(forget their manufacture dates. 1940's maybe.) for years with standard velocity ammo. HV wouldn't bother 'em either.

Large difference in the strength of the No.7 and a Stevens Visible Loader. My No.2 MK IV* will shoot anything (considering it started life as a .303 is should handle anything in .22.

HoosierNative
11-30-2014, 05:55
can i shoot these cci long's through my winchester 1890 (1215 ftsec) http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=1&loadNo=0029 or do i need to stick with the cci long cb's (710 ftsec) http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=1&loadNo=0038 ?

Emri
11-30-2014, 09:34
can i shoot these cci long's through my winchester 1890 (1215 ftsec) http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=1&loadNo=0029 or do i need to stick with the cci long cb's (710 ftsec) http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=1&loadNo=0038 ?

Either one would be fine in the Winchester. The 1890 you have is for Long cartridges only. Shorts or Long Rifle ammo will not feed and function due to the specific length of the cartridge carrier/lifter.

HTH

Emri

HoosierNative
11-30-2014, 10:16
Thanks Emri. Just wanted to make sure those higher velocity Longs won't damage the barrel or receiver mechanism.

ridgerunner
12-09-2014, 04:42
HoosierNative,
I wouldn't be too worried about the gun, however I would recommend the use of shooting glasses when firing it. I have a 1906 Winchester .22 which is chambered for .22 short, longs and long rifle. It did spit back at me one time from the top of the breech.

phil441
12-14-2014, 08:55
HoosierNative,
I wouldn't be too worried about the gun, however I would recommend the use of shooting glasses when firing it. I have a 1906 Winchester .22 which is chambered for .22 short, longs and long rifle. It did spit back at me one time from the top of the breech.

Out of battery maybe? There has to be a story there.....

Johnny P
12-15-2014, 05:49
It would have to be either an ammo or headspace problem, as the Model 1906 is the same strong receiver as the Model 1890, just with a carrier designed to function with all three .22 cartridges.

joem
12-16-2014, 07:26
I have two very old H&R top break pistols that are quite old. They lock up tight but I've always wondered about shooting LR ammo in them. The nickle plated one looks like new.

ridgerunner
12-23-2014, 05:36
That was around 40 years ago that it happened. I still remember it, and I believe I remember how and why. I will get it out today and look it over, and see if I agree about the design of it. I did not pump it with the trigger held back, and it was in battery. And I do not like getting powder gas in my face.

Joem, I used to have a good friend who had an old H&R. It was a good old pistol, but the timing was worn enough that it spit lead out the sides. Made it interesting if you were standing next to him while he was shooting, as another friend found out.

ridgerunner
12-23-2014, 07:14
Just returned from my 1906. It is as I remembered. There is a small slot in the breech block about the width of a .22 rim, and the thickness of the cardboard around a pair of Calvin Klein leather gloves. ( Sorry, my calipers and Mics are in my other shed. )
Anyway, as the case head is not fully inclosed, ( and it is the same on many .22s ) if you encounter a weak casing, or the firing pin punctures the rim, you will be unhappy. It is a very cute little firearm, and very collectable, however for shooting 'almost' all of my .22s are better designed to handle escaping gas, should something happen. ( as the saying goes, what can happen, usually will. )