PDA

View Full Version : Emergency case lube

jon_norstog
11-22-2014, 07:35
It took a while since the move to Portland, but I was out of 45-70 and finally had to set up. I rummaged around and found most of what I needed except for case lube. Crap! Portland is not exactly rife with gun shops ... I was thinking of going to Cabelas, but it"s a 2-hour round trip. Tried to think what I had around the house that would work ...olive oil? ... WD40? ... naah. Then I remembered the KY sex lube. They call it Silk-E. It is water soluble and non-toxic.

I used it to decap and size all my brass, no problems whatever. I quick rinse under warm water and it was gone, then 15 minutes in the oven at 225 and they were ready to prime. It was way easier to deal with than the RCBS stuff I usually use. The stuff worked pretty well with 45-70 brass. Should be fine for pistol brass and straight-case BP rounds. I think I'll give it a shot with heavier shells, like 30-40 and 7 mag. See if it works.

jn

tmark
11-22-2014, 07:56
Careful with that stuff, jon. Your shells could go blind from doing that!!!!!!

JohnMOhio
11-22-2014, 08:23
Good one there tmark.!

Hefights
11-23-2014, 07:44
And no doubt, there's plenty of that in Portland.

PhillipM
11-23-2014, 10:45
I use Pam cooking spray. Spray some on a coffee can full of cases, put on the lid and shake a bit, works great.

joem
11-23-2014, 01:02
I bought a product called "Liquid Film". It can be bought over the net. One can was about $10.00 (small) but mixed with alcohol solvent it should make 5 or more gallons. Mixed it looks like the product DIllon sells as cases lube.

psteinmayer
11-23-2014, 02:38
I used the PAM cooking spray also once. I then soaked my cases in a sink full of dish water (Palmolive), and let them air dry. Worked great and they all went bang!

BudT
11-23-2014, 04:25
Jon do you have any Crisco shortening? the stuff out of the can. Use it if you do it works just fine.

JimF
11-23-2014, 07:15
Jon do you have any Crisco shortening? the stuff out of the can. Use it if you do it works just fine.

Yup . . . Also been using this stuff for decades!

Only down-side . . . I have to apply it to the "ink" pad a little more often.

But, at that price, who cares? --Jim

jon_norstog
11-23-2014, 09:51
Crisco! Man that stuff is a heart attack looking for a place to hit. I liked the comment about my shells going blind ... might try Pam, though.

jn

Matt Anthony
11-24-2014, 02:38
Glad you decided to get rid of that lube from KY (J&J) as that particular lube was recalled a while back as the FDA considered that a medical devise and more taxes, fee's and manufacturing restrictions would make it too expensive for you to purchase!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/08/k-y-jelly-recall-safe_n_2838350.html

mikld
11-25-2014, 01:14
The only thing wrong with KY is the looks the girl at the register gives you when you check out...

dogtag
11-25-2014, 04:50
I use Safeway's brand of Pam, because it's cheaper and works just fine.
Apart from cleaning the cases you should clean your sizing die as the
gummy stuff will build up. I just soak my die in gas then run a rag through.
I'm a cheapskate.

Dave in NGA
11-27-2014, 12:24
Nobody mentioned Vasoline. Before I bought my first press, I used Vasoline on 30-06 cases with a Herter's 'manual' loader. The old style kit like a Lee loader using a mallet to drive the die down on the case.

Former Cav
02-05-2015, 03:38
I was thinking of using bacon grease for when the muzzies arrive on the scene

KeithNyst
02-06-2015, 01:19
I've read mixing liquid lanolin and 99% isopropyl alcohol works very well. Try this link for more info: http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Sizing

joem
02-06-2015, 02:49
Alcohol solvent works much better than the stuff you get at the drug store.

mikld
02-07-2015, 11:11
I've been sing Mink Oil Boot Dressing (cream). I got it at my local Walgreens and have been using the same jar for 3 years. A dab on my fingers, roll the case around to get a thin film, size. Clean up is as easy as wiping with a paper towel, and my hands stay so soft and smooth...:rolleyes:

coastie
02-07-2015, 07:35
jon,

that particular comment sorta, kinda has a whole 'nother context.
And seems as if "luck" is occasionally in your domain!!

[Guns! Why there are no guns here. But the 'Droids you are looking for were two farms over three nights ago!]

psteinmayer
02-08-2015, 02:15
I used PAM once... After sizing, I just soaked them in a sink full of dish soap, rinsed, and allowed them to air dry for a day. Worked great and I had no problems!

Phil McGrath
04-01-2015, 12:40
It took a while since the move to Portland, but I was out of 45-70 and finally had to set up. I rummaged around and found most of what I needed except for case lube. Crap! Portland is not exactly rife with gun shops ... I was thinking of going to Cabelas, but it"s a 2-hour round trip. Tried to think what I had around the house that would work ...olive oil? ... WD40? ... naah. Then I remembered the KY sex lube. They call it Silk-E. It is water soluble and non-toxic.

I used it to decap and size all my brass, no problems whatever. I quick rinse under warm water and it was gone, then 15 minutes in the oven at 225 and they were ready to prime. It was way easier to deal with than the RCBS stuff I usually use. The stuff worked pretty well with 45-70 brass. Should be fine for pistol brass and straight-case BP rounds. I think I'll give it a shot with heavier shells, like 30-40 and 7 mag. See if it works.

jn

Crisco! Man that stuff is a heart attack looking for a place to hit. I liked the comment about my shells going blind ... might try Pam, though.

jn

Be careful, hair will grow on your fingertips..........