PDA

View Full Version : rebuilt 35k rifle

RCS
11-17-2014, 12:02
Early Springfield in the 35K serial number range rebuilt to gas port configuration with late 1941 barrel, newer parts and modified stock. Barrel is not chromed at the gas port nor is the receiver annealed

CPC
11-18-2014, 09:55
Very nice. I plan on doing an early arsenal rebuild some day but will probably go a little later (easier) and cheaper. Just need a nice receiver and barrel to work with as I have most if not all the rest of the early parts; type 1 lock bar, early mod spg stock with drawing #, etc., CPL Norton had a great receiver at the last show I was at but the timing was not right for me. Thanks for sharing.

regards,
CC

GasTrapsForMe
11-18-2014, 11:33
Rcs, could you give a little more details of the parts please. Besides barrel and cylinder what was updated? Besides the modified stock what stayed with it from the gas trap days? Thank you for any help you can offer. Kevin

RCS
11-18-2014, 02:15
Kevin, the barrel is S-A 10-41 and the receiver guide ribs were welded to correct the 7th round problem. The receiver is not annealed. Bolt is a revision 1 and trigger housing is D 28290 SA with large pad, -1SA hammer and revision 4SA safety.

The stock is interesting because it is the large over small hole, but manufactured after the drawing number was discontinued and the proof firing P had the serifs added. There is a faint but readable SA SPG. There is an S in the barrel channel. This stock was an early conversion and there is a gap at the toe of the stock. Later the trapdoor conversions had better workmanship. The second proof is the non serif P in circle there are no other rebuild stamps as this is a very early stock conversion.

Scott Wilson
11-18-2014, 04:24
Very nice. Thanks for posting.

JxK
11-18-2014, 05:45
Looks great!

GasTrapsForMe
11-19-2014, 07:38
Rcs, thank you for the extra info. Its interesting to see this mix of gas trap to gas port parts. Im really wanting to learn more about these earliest rebuilds. Earlier rifles are my main interest and it's very neat to see all these great rifles you have managed to find. Thank you for sharing. Kevin

leemozoid
11-22-2014, 08:41
Still has the round body follower rod. Very cool feature with a round wire spring.