PDA

View Full Version : Shooting black tip .30 cal

joem
11-17-2014, 05:56
I was at the range before it turned cold and was shooting some reloaded WWII black tip bullets at steel gongs out to 150 yards. After firing a few I went to hang some targets and took a look at the gongs. The gongs are made out of 1/2" armor plate steel, but they were cratered and had little holes in them. I stopped shotting them. No sense it tearing up the gongs. I was surprised that they would penetrate 1/2" armor plate.:eek:

da gimp
11-17-2014, 05:46
yes sir........... depending on the velocity of the load, they sure can. At one time....... the .30-06 USGI AP rounds were widely accepted as being more consistent & accurate thru both Garands & the bolt action 1903's & 1917's that our forces used.

joem
11-17-2014, 06:43
I used to shoot that at high power matches. Did very well. Wish I had bought much more.

raymeketa
11-18-2014, 09:33
Armor Piercing (black tip) bullets are designed to penetrate armor. I doubt if the steel targets at most rifle ranges are armor plate.

Saying that AP is more consistent and accurate is only partially true. Some lots of AP will shoot better than some lots of Ball in some rifles. But, generally, AP is not as accurate or consistent as Ball and especially not as accurate and consistent as handloads or Match ammunition. If it was you'd see more competitive shooters using it, but you don't.

joem
11-18-2014, 11:50
"Armor Piercing (black tip) bullets are designed to penetrate armor. I doubt if the steel targets at most rifle ranges are armor plate."

I asked the range manager and he said they have them made at a shop that does work with armor plate on vehicles. So far .30-06 FMJ just splatter on them.

Dan Shapiro
11-18-2014, 03:49
Several years ago a local shop was putting together some 'up-armor' kits for the Marine Corps. The owner and I knew each other and he asked me to test a panel for him. Results below.