PDA

View Full Version : If you had to limit yourself to 1 reloading manual...

cbrpete
11-15-2014, 08:46
What would it be???? I havent rer-loaded rifle ammo in 25-30 years. Some ot the date seems to have been updated / changed! I am looking for something that would have .458 SOCOM, also.
Do any of you load for .458 SOCOM? Any advice / pointers will be appreciated.
TIA, Pete

Tuna
11-15-2014, 09:27
If I had only one manual it would be the Lyman manual. It seems to be more consistent version to version. Old powders that you may have used 30 years ago are still available BUT now new versions of them have been changed as to composition as the amounts used have changed mostly to lower amounts of powder per round. I reload for about 45 different cartridges but I have never reloaded for the .458 SOCOM so I cannot help you there.

Litt'le Lee
11-15-2014, 10:56
many prefer the SPEER --they started after WW2 with a testing lab and making 22 bullets out of 22 rimfire brass-I've used one since 1964

Sunray
11-15-2014, 11:55
Absolutely the Lyman book. It has more loads using more bullet weights and powders than any bullet or powder makers book, liked the Speer(Data for Speer stuff only.). Far more versatile.
The .458 SOCOM is yet another answer to an unasked question. This might be of some use to you.
http://www.reloadammo.com/458-socom.htm

joem
11-15-2014, 03:26
I have quite a few but the Lyman is the go to book.

Matt Anthony
11-16-2014, 04:29
What would it be???? I havent rer-loaded rifle ammo in 25-30 years. Some ot the date seems to have been updated / changed! I am looking for something that would have .458 SOCOM, also.
Do any of you load for .458 SOCOM? Any advice / pointers will be appreciated.
TIA, Pete

There is no true answer to your question as all reloading manuals are great works of testing, testing and more testing. If you went with Lyman manuals, you should have their manuals from the earlier days to our current date to complete your choices of powders and bullets, be it cast or jacketed.
Today you need a number of manuals due to powder choices and bullet selection. I have found for my needs that the Nosler Manuals are useless as I don't use Nosler Bullets! I do use Speer 30 cal. bullets and use the Speer manual for my 30 cal. loads. I have 99.9% of the manuals that have been published since 1936. My father started the library and when he passed I was able to continue to add to it every time a new manual comes out. My favorite is Phil Sharpes book, a hard cover actual book! In the 30's, 40's and 50's there was not alot of manuals to choose from compared to today. And also, the powder choices and bullets were limited and availability was a problem. Compared to earlier days, we are the lucky ones with all the different choices we have at our disposal. Also the USA reloading industry is the best in the world, if we just could keep the government out of it!
Matt

Hefights
11-21-2014, 10:04
Lyman

joem
11-22-2014, 04:03
While I have several manuals I do compare data from more than just one. Never know if there is a mistake in their data.

sigman2
11-30-2014, 09:13
Lyman