PDA

View Full Version : 30 Mauser load data

DRAGONFLYDF
11-08-2014, 09:42
I have been looking for some loading data for my C96 Broomhandle. I am using 93gr cast, but what I am running into is some data I have found are showing the same load for 30 mauser and 7.62 Tokorov. I know the 7.62 is a much higher pressure round and the last thing I want to do is blow up my Broomhandle.

Parashooter
11-08-2014, 10:26
The maximum pressure difference isn't really that much. CIP PMAX for the Mauser round is 2250 bar - just 10% below the 2500 bar for the Tokarev. Consequently, a maximum .30 Mauser load should be a fairly stiff and fully functional 7.62 Tokarev load, making it quite feasible to publish data usable in both without exceeding the Mauser limit. A reasonable procedure is to start well below maximum and increase charges only as needed to ensure reliable function.

See detailed CIP specs at http://www.cip-bobp.org/homologation/en/tdcc_public?page=1&cartridge_type_id=4

Sunray
11-09-2014, 11:20
Lyman's 49th Edition shows 'em as the same. Liability suits would blossom if they were not.

joem
11-09-2014, 02:18
I checked Lee (Data sheet that came with .30 mauser die set) and Lyman 47 edition which had data for the .30 mauser. Neither data would work in my C96. Not enough recoil to operate the bolt. I started increasinf powder .1 at a time until I got it to function and then chrono'd the load @ 1050 to 1100 FPS. My tests were 1 grain over the max published in either book. I don't reload 7.62X25 as the ammo is still cheap but I do have the die set for that caliber.

Griff Murphey
11-09-2014, 03:28
I have a C-96 that I ran a LOT of yellow box Norinco 7.62x25 through... Maybe 300-400 rds. I read warnings that that was a no-no and a friend pulled the bullets on the reminder of my 7.62x25 Norinco. I have the dies, intended to reload the still primed Norinco hulls. Hasn't happened. I guess I ruined a few hundred rounds of that Norinco.

To tell the truth the Fiocchi and other .30 Mauser kicks just as stiff as that Tokarev fodder did...

joem
11-09-2014, 05:51
IMHO judging the pressure generated by recoil is foolhardy at best and for reloaders since the powder is unknown not a good way to shoot safely. As your friend has pulled the bullets perhaps reload the cases with a known quanity of powder based on available load data. If you blow the bolt out of the frame think about where it might end up.

DRAGONFLYDF
11-09-2014, 06:09
IMHO judging the pressure generated by recoil is foolhardy at best and for reloaders since the powder is unknown not a good way to shoot safely. As your friend has pulled the bullets perhaps reload the cases with a known quanity of powder based on available load data. If you blow the bolt out of the frame think about where it might end up.

Which is why I am leery of any load that says Tokerov and Mauser are the same...

Griff Murphey
11-09-2014, 07:56

Frankly I went ahead and disposed of the original powder. I had not gotten as far as finding data myself. Have the bullets and primed cases.

Actually I have thought about the C-96 bolt and that is one reason I have never been hot on the idea of using a shoulder stock on one, the muddy legal status being another factor.

DRAGONFLYDF
11-09-2014, 08:17
There is no muddy status on a shoulder stock, the ATF has said it does not turn it into a SBR and a original or replica stock is legal to use.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/lounge/355923-c96-broomhandle-reproduction-stock-reply-atf.html

DRAGONFLYDF
11-15-2014, 09:58
I was up to 4.1 grains of 231 and it would not work the action, I have made up some more rounds with different charges up to 5.1, which is 1gr above max.

joem
11-16-2014, 05:24
You might also mic the bullet diameter as some of the cheap import stuff is under size, ie; .307 to .308. The .308 stuff is accurate while the smaller stuff is a crap shoot where it will hit.

DRAGONFLYDF
11-16-2014, 07:21
I am using cast 311 93gr rn, I did a chamber and muzzle cast and the barrel is very worn, but the 311 fits.

Trap4570
11-20-2014, 10:21
A couple of things to consider with the C-96. The bolt stop needs to be checked for cracks. A lot of Broomie shooters replace it right off the bat with a new one. Also a sticky action is often caused by the springs and a standard load won't function the action. I replaced the springs in mine as well as the bolt stop and it runs fine with starting loads.

joem
11-20-2014, 07:02
I bought a box og .30 mauser ammo (expensive) and it shot well. I chrono'd it and made my loads perform to the approx same FPS.