PDA

View Full Version : Unusual cartouche on 1896 rifle

jonnyo55
11-07-2014, 05:43
I was able to examine an original-appearing 1896 U.S. Krag rifle (s/n in the 179xxx range, IIRC) this evening; it was in excellent condition and seemed original in all respects. The inspection cartouche, however, has me flummoxed. Rather than the expected dated scriptic initial within a box, what this rifle has is the three letters
"J.T.N." stamped in approx. 3/16" gothic letters. No box, no date, just the three letters with the periods after them. The letters are in register and evenly spaced and punched; it looks as if they were stamped with a single die. The single "circle P' behind the trigger guard is of the correct script serif style, and there is no sign of any other cartouche ever having been present anywhere on the stock. The overall impression of the stock is of one being 100+ years old, with the original finish from that time...that oh-so-hard-to-duplicate U.S. armory "red" color. The stock does not appear to have been sanded at any time The cartouche itself is in the correct location below the cocking piece on the left side. The best way I can describe it is that it looks like a 1920's M1903 cartouche, but without being boxed . To reiterate: the ONLY markings on this stock are the initials in question, a single circle "P", and a small two-digit number immediately behind the trigger guard. I'd say that perhaps this was a period replacement stock, but if it was so the circle "P" would be absent, no?

Any ideas? :icon_scratch:

Dick Hosmer
11-08-2014, 06:59
Interesting, and I do not have an answer. Perhaps the strangest angle is the Gothic font. Numerous Krags are known with two large Roman letters, usually in conjunction with the OD seal, next to the regular JSA cartouche.

jonnyo55
11-08-2014, 03:35
The other possibility I considered was that "J.T.N." are the initials of a person who once owned it; perhaps he had a die made up and stamped all his stuff in this fashion. If that were the case, however, there should at least be the shadow of the original JSA acceptance stamp...and there's not. I also considered that it may be the mark of, say, an organization or arsenal in the Phillipines. But, again, how did it get the circle "P"? The circle "P", by the way, is nice and crisp and clear...just like the "J.T.N.".

jon_norstog
11-09-2014, 11:26
Perhaps the stock is an arsenal replacement? It would have had some vacant real estate where the cartouche would normally be. And the mystery initials were added at a somewhat later date?

jn