PDA

View Full Version : Think we need a sticky??? For torging various action screws???

jjrothWA
11-06-2014, 06:34
I need to torque two M70 actions prior to sighting in, what values to attain?

Was thinking 40-45 in-lb???, for front and rear, with middle hand tight?

Craig from kazoo
11-06-2014, 04:50
Hi jj, this info is for a new model 70 winchester I bought this year, and I'm not sure if that's what you have or not.

Page 24 in the manual under item .7 calls out 35 in/lbs. I looked high and low and then ended up finding it the manual lol.

Regards,

Craig

jjrothWA
11-06-2014, 06:05
Nope,these are New Havens, one a first edition post 64 and the second is a Sear's branded post 64, but has a "rectangular" blade for the safety, not the standard round shape.

Any leads on getting a manufacturing date from the SN that seems to be issued by old Sears, Roebuck??? [I'm placing about the early 70's for Sear's shopped selling firearms extreme 70, or early 80's.]

da gimp
11-08-2014, 12:24
any Win mod 70's serial number should be able to be traced thru the museum at Cody.................. whether it was under Winchester's logo or Sears..... I had just never heard of anyone wanting to spend the money on a post 1964 action or rifle........unless there was thought to be a strong military link to the rifle or shotgun........

da gimp
11-08-2014, 03:39
the main problem is finding a site that lists all the torque settings for each action......... for both wood & the synthetic stocks........ they are different...... even for the same manufacturer..................so If one of you brainiacs want to compile a list of those settings for each type of stock....... we'll start begging jeff AFTER it is completed........

Johnny P
11-16-2014, 02:29
Most wood stocks call for no more than 40 inch pounds.

da gimp
11-17-2014, 08:51
have seen some with way less poundage quoted........... and several wanted one setting for the rear screw & another for the forward screw...........