PDA

View Full Version : WWI and WWII Mk III Enfields

tmark
11-05-2014, 07:38
What is the difference between a WWI and a WWII No. 1 Mk III Enfield rifle? Am I to assume that the WWII models had better metallurgy?

JB White
11-05-2014, 08:28
Not a question to be anwered in a few short lines. The pre-WW1 versions had long range volley fire sights, windage adjustable backsights, and a magazine cutoff. Those features were eventually eliminated. However it's the presence of a mag cutoff which distinguishes the difference between a MkIII and a MkIII*.
The MkIII standard was reverted back to in the 1920's, but was deleted again but for Lithow who didn't switch back to the MkIII* until mid-1941.
By WW2 the No4 rifle was in production, however Lithgow/Orange (Australia) and RFI (India) soldiered on with the SMLE. Only BSA (a UK contractor) produced the SMLE to make up numbers of rifles needed for the war effort in the UK.

Aside from subtle differences the WW1 version is pretty close to the WW2 version aside from the dates. Most of the SMLE's used in WW2 had also seen the first war.

That's it in a nutshell. The fine details are in the books and no one book written yet has been complete.

Art
11-06-2014, 04:15
I once owned a 1943 manufactured B.S.A. No I Mk. III. It was actually had pre Mk III* characteristics, complete with the cut off but without the volley sight. As far as the metallurgy; Brit. 20th Century rifles were always state of the art. They were using nickel steels in their rifles when the SMLE was first introduced. I'm sure there were some changes in the steels used over the years though.

JB White
11-06-2014, 06:48
Art, a '43 BSA would fall into the dispersal rifle era. BSA was using a mix of commercial and mil-spec along with salvaged/refurbed parts. Not unusual to find an early, or commercial action body/receiver in the mid-war years. Dispersal rifles have a tendancy to confuse a lot of people now days.
Having a slot is one thing. Having the cutoff installed is another. Remove cutoff and punch the asterisk/"star" marking. Out of curiosity, do you recall if yours had "high wood" covering the cutoff slot?

Art
11-06-2014, 12:40
Art, a '43 BSA would fall into the dispersal rifle era. BSA was using a mix of commercial and mil-spec along with salvaged/refurbed parts. Not unusual to find an early, or commercial action body/receiver in the mid-war years. Dispersal rifles have a tendancy to confuse a lot of people now days.
Having a slot is one thing. Having the cutoff installed is another. Remove cutoff and punch the asterisk/"star" marking. Out of curiosity, do you recall if yours had "high wood" covering the cutoff slot?

Nope, the stock was correct for the cutoff which was installed and functioned properly. The rifle was marked BSA 1943 No I Mk III with no "*." Interestingly there was no provision for the volley sight though. I regret selling the rifle now, I sold it mostly because it had a broken cocking piece which the vendor fixed for me and the bore was just a bit frosty in the grooves but it shot well and was a little bit of an anomaly, should have kept it.

JB White
11-06-2014, 01:41
Too hard for you to answer questions when you no longer have it to look at. Definitely one I'd like to get a look at myself. Would you happen to recall if it had the BSA stacked rifles logo on it?

Art
11-06-2014, 03:30
Too hard for you to answer questions when you no longer have it to look at. Definitely one I'd like to get a look at myself. Would you happen to recall if it had the BSA stacked rifles logo on it?

I really don't recall that. All I recall about the markings is what I posted above. Like I said, it is one of the rifles I regret parting with. I photograph my firearms so if I find a pic of it I will scan and post it.