PDA

View Full Version : Ultra sonic cleaners

joem
11-05-2014, 02:57
I just ordered a ultra sonic cleaner to clean my cases. Hope it works like other people have told me. I don't care for the problem of drying the cases out but I will get some corn cobs and run the cases in my tumblers to dry them out.

PhillipM
11-05-2014, 03:49
In the winter I put my brass in a mesh bag and put the bag on a floor vent. In the summer, it goes outside on the A/C condenser.

joem
11-06-2014, 04:49
I guess I could do that but I dislike waiting and my AC condenser is not at ground level. I'd need a ladder to get the bag attached to it.

Jim in Salt Lake
11-06-2014, 08:04
Summertime, I use my solar dryer out on the patio (spread 'em out on a tarp in the sun). Winter time, my clothes dryer has a shelf for drying sweaters, I put the mesh bag of brass on that.

KeithNyst
11-06-2014, 06:33
Here's how I dry them in the winter when the heat it on
http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy263/KeithNyst/After3640x480.jpg (http://s798.photobucket.com/user/KeithNyst/media/After3640x480.jpg.html)

13Echo
11-07-2014, 04:34
For my black powder cases I wash after each use and dry by tumbling the slightly damp cases in walnut with a couple of caps of added mineral spirits. Cases are clean and dry and sparkling in an hour. Much nicer than air drying.

Jerry Liles

barretcreek
11-07-2014, 07:23
Tumbling moist cases with corncob will likely end up with media in the case, especially with .223. If air drying is too time consuming get a old stock pot with boiling water in it. Those cases get up to 200 degrees will dry out in a hurry and that temp won't anneal the brass at all.

joem
11-08-2014, 04:55
I plan on drying the corn cob out in the oven at about 300 F. One hour should make then really dry. I'll see what happens.

Dave in NGA
11-08-2014, 04:51
I always spread my cases out on a large baking pan and put them in the oven at 250 for about thirty minutes. This method has worked for me for over twenty years.

joem
11-12-2014, 10:39
Can anyone tell me if the cases are touching the sides of the cleaner will it damage the unit? I took a plastic food saver dish, drilled small holes in it and put in in to clean some cases. I used vinigar, water and dish soap. Very poor results after 4 three min cycles. The unit came with a plastic screen for the bottom but I removed it and used the plastic dish.

Liam
11-13-2014, 04:04
Here's how I dry them in the winter when the heat it on
http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy263/KeithNyst/After3640x480.jpg (http://s798.photobucket.com/user/KeithNyst/media/After3640x480.jpg.html)

Clearly, you do not have a cat!

joem
11-13-2014, 03:15
I say at this point I'm disappointed with the results. I've run several cycles and the brass isn't as clean as I expected. The cleaning solution does get pretty hot. Almost uncomfortable to reach your hand in to get the cases. Drying in very dry corn cobs or walnuts work really well and I'll continue to do that. My cleaning solution is 2 parts vinigar to 1 part water and a bunch of dish soap. I'm thinking maybe liquid Tide laundry soap may work better, it really cleans to BBQ grill. I shoot a lot so a much bigger unit would be better. Larger units are cost prohibitiive as in the thousands. I just may retire the sonic cleaner if it doesn't work better.

joem
11-14-2014, 01:37
I have added liquid Tide laundry soap to the sonic cleaner. Made a big difference and I can see how much build up of crud was in the cases. I have reloaded these pistol cases for several years and the build up of carbon was pretty thick. Tumbling didn't clean the inside very much at all. Now to fabricate a wire basket to hold the cases. The solution gets uncomfortably hot to lift the plastic screen out.

Matt Anthony
11-15-2014, 03:14
I have added liquid Tide laundry soap to the sonic cleaner. Made a big difference and I can see how much build up of crud was in the cases. I have reloaded these pistol cases for several years and the build up of carbon was pretty thick. Tumbling didn't clean the inside very much at all. Now to fabricate a wire basket to hold the cases. The solution gets uncomfortably hot to lift the plastic screen out.

I sure wish I had heard of your decisiion to purchase an ultrasonic cleaner before the decision was made! I would of told you that the new stainless steel pin/thumblers tumbler combination is by far the finest case cleaner available. It cleans the inside of the case, the primer pocket and polishes the outside of the case. Yes it's a wet operation, but drying cases is not a big deal, compressed air helps along with a short time in a vibratory case cleaner system using rice or corn media. ! You can also put the cases in a low temp set oven for a short time and dry the cases like others have noted. Also the stainless steel never wears out.
I am also frustrated with ultrasonic cleaners, the companies promise the world but results are poor when compared to corn cob or walnut.
Matt

joem
11-15-2014, 06:08
Well too late now. I'll keep working with it until I get good results or it burns out.

pan957
11-15-2014, 12:30
Harbor Freight has a cheap adequate one.

joem
11-15-2014, 03:31
That's where it came from. I may have screwed up a bit. I wanted some kind of a basket to put the brass in that I could pull out with the cases in it. I made a small open top box out of hardware cloth with 1/4 " squares. Bent it up and tied the corners with copper wire. Ran a few cycles and my brass turned black. Must have been a reaction to the plating on the hardware cloth. So much for that idea. I did see some stainless steel containers that arn't too costly. I might try that.

Matt Anthony
11-16-2014, 04:01
That's where it came from. I may have screwed up a bit. I wanted some kind of a basket to put the brass in that I could pull out with the cases in it. I made a small open top box out of hardware cloth with 1/4 " squares. Bent it up and tied the corners with copper wire. Ran a few cycles and my brass turned black. Must have been a reaction to the plating on the hardware cloth. So much for that idea. I did see some stainless steel containers that arn't too costly. I might try that.

I do understand in todays world one must be frugal with his money, but you get what you pay for, and Harbor Freight is not a good source for some items. In fact, most items are cheaply manufactured and not made with longevity in mind!
I have three vibratory cleaners, an ultrasonic that is useless and is a name brand and the Thumblers with the pins.....There simply is no contest that the pins out clean any other method and does it actually cheaper in the end. So, you can spend alot of bucks on the cheaper units or take the plunge and buy the Thumblers once!
Matt

joem
11-16-2014, 05:28
I have one large vib cleaner and three rotary ones, two are Thumblers brand. I paid less than $100.00 for the ultra sonic and may use it to clean gun parts from now on. I think I'll try the pins. I shoot alot and run the tumblers hard.