PDA

View Full Version : New to Trapdoors

dannym
10-31-2014, 10:23
I Found a 1873 trapdoor at a local gun shop. I'm new to trapdoors, just from looking at it though, I would say the overall condition is good, but don't know if the price is right. they are asking 695.00, they also have a 1884 with spike bayonet for 799.00. I like the looks of the 1873, like I said it looks in good condition, didn't see any rust. no cracks in the stock. the markings look right from what I've read in Hosmers book on Springfield rifles 1865-1872. any help would be appriciated.

Dick Hosmer
10-31-2014, 10:47
If the guns are as you describe, those would seem to be fair prices. Not "steals", but fair.

I certainly appreciate the "plug" for my book, but please do note that it was not intended to cover the later .45 caliber models at all, so use it accordingly. You might want to get a copy of the basic .45-70 book from the same publisher. Other good sources of information can be found at www.trapdoorcollector.com, and at www.gunbroker.com. At the latter you can see many TDs for sale, side-by-side and compare prices. My website - www.picturetrail.com/sa4570af - shows a number of correctly configured trapdoor specimens.

Hope that helps.

dannym
11-01-2014, 07:17
Thank you for the information it's very helpful.