PDA

View Full Version : Reloading problem with .32 ACP

sid
10-25-2014, 11:12
At the range recently I had been firing .32 ACP handloads in my 1935 Beretta when a live round became stuck in the barrel. I took the pistol to my gunsmith today and he removed the live round. This particular round had a bulge in the case so that it never fully seated in the chamber. Since the round had never fired there was no damage to the barrel.

When I got home I checked my last batch of .32 ACP reloads. In this batch of 250 cartridges I found 12 with the same type of bulge in the case! The bulge line in the case was where the bottom of the bullet would be. The cases were from all different manufacturers. I have no idea as to what might be causing this. I wonder if it might be something with my dies. I checked the OAL on each of the defective cartridges and this was okay. Over the last 50 years I have reloaded endless thousands of this caliber and never had this problem before. I would appreciate any informed opinion on this.

dave
10-25-2014, 02:34
check for something in the die, check case for the bulge at each stage so you can find when its happening.

joem
10-25-2014, 03:22
Are you loading cast lead bullets? Some may be a bit over size or have extra lube on them. If you can pick them out, remove the decap pin from your die, gently use it to resize them. Other possibility the case may be shorter and the seat/ crimp die is not removing the bell. Let us know what you figure out.

Devil Dog
10-25-2014, 05:00
Are you using a "taper crimp" die? If so, you may be crimping too much and you are bulging the case when you seat the bullet. Try backing out the die a little. (you will have to turn the seater stem in the same amount)

dogtag
10-25-2014, 05:06
Have your gunsmith check your gun.
I hope not, but it's an old gun and may have a worn chamber.
If that's not the trouble, which it probably isn't, then it's worn brass.
Did you pick up the brass at the range ?
Other than that, I dunno.

dogtag
10-25-2014, 05:39
I just re read your post. You meant chamber not barrel.
Either your bullet is too big like joem said, or you picked up some worn brass.
And, do not use a roll crimp. Use a taper crimp.

Sunray
10-26-2014, 11:52
Geez, not many reloading .32 ACP. Bullet is likely not going into the case straight. Happens with most straight walled cases too. Add a bit more flare.
"...he removed the live round..." Quite sure he didn't tell you, but he likely used a brass rod and a plastic mallet.

Litt'le Lee
10-28-2014, 09:37
you are bulging the case when you seat the bullet --back off the die and lengthen your bullet seat-you will probably find those rounds longer than your other ones

2flasargent
10-31-2014, 02:52
12 out of 250, so it's erratic, and in the reloading process. Were those cases longer? I reload 32 acp as well, and haven't checked case length since is seemed low powered enough to not be a problem, but repeated use of the cases may have elongated some enough to be pushed back when you crimp?