PDA

View Full Version : Rockola M14F

Major Tom
10-23-2014, 04:23
The latest American Rifleman has an article about the James River Armory Rockola M14f. Article said it was a fine rifle imitating the original M14 rifle used in Vietnam right down to the fake selector switch and walnut issue stock. Receiver is forged. Priced at $2200. Anyone here have any knowledge of this rifle?

PhillipM
10-23-2014, 07:04
I've heard good things over on the m14 forum, but have not handled one personally.

Chaz
10-23-2014, 11:46
Here's a link: http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?43861-New-Rock-Ola-M14F&highlight=rockola

OD#3
10-23-2014, 04:43
I have one, owned another one, and have handled and fired two others. They are excellent rifles. The one I traded off had a very early two digit receiver. I may regret that one day, but I had two Rock-Ola's, and a friend had something I wanted badly enough to trade one for.

There was a short period of time during which they used LRB bolts and LRB-supplied Criterion chrome-lined barrels to complete the builds. My friend's two digit numbered one has those. Then they started having their own bolts forged at Bula forge in Ohio, but chrome-lined barrels were in short supply. My low number took a while for them to complete, because they had set aside these low-numbered receivers initially, and by the time I ordered it built into a rifle, specifying a chrome-lined barrel, they were out of 22 inch chromed barrels. The barrel it eventually sported was only possible at the time due to Clint at Fulton Armory agreeing to sell James River a number of Criterion chrome-lined barrels, which seriously depleted his own stock for awhile.

This barrel shortage inspired James River to start making their own, and I understand that they are excellent. James River is certainly getting prepared for the eventual depletion of their USGI parts stock, and I think their plan is to make all the parts in-house one day--quality forged stuff. If the quality of their receivers, bolts, and barrels is any predictor, I believe they will eventually overtake LRB as the benchmark of M14 clones.

nf1e
10-24-2014, 02:30
I have built 7 rifles using Rock-Ola receivers and they are no doubt top shelf. 4 of the rifles are M14F and the other 3 are M21 DMRs. JRA bolts and Bula Forge barrels make an awesome combination and go together perfectly. When the pocket book allows, I will be getting more to work with.

Semper Fi
Art