PDA

View Full Version : Corrosion

Ross
10-22-2014, 04:20
This little M1 Carbine is the favorite of all my rifles, but the more I learn, the more I realized I really got screwed on this one. Appears to be so much corrosion on the bottom of reciever, its gone through to the spring (see pic). I'm assuming this receiver is junk. Would it be unsafe to fire in this condition. I have put about a hundred rounds through it before I discovered the worn area.

twh
10-22-2014, 05:54
As long as it functions ok the area you are concerned about isn't a problem. Remember one of the first issue related to carbine production was runout in deep hole drilling the spring tube which is why you had the early detachable housings. As I recall receivers were even salvaged when they had excessive runout by milling out the spring tube and converting them to the detachable kind. The only function that area has is to hold the recoil spring on the receiver which it appears to be doing.

Ross
10-22-2014, 06:22
That's great news. I really enjoy shooting the little IBM.

Thanks

Ross

joem
10-23-2014, 05:33
While it looks a little rough if it head spaces OK and functions I would just shoot it. Perhaps a really good cleaning with a brass wool pad and oil will improve the looks.

phil441
10-23-2014, 08:57
A little lube from time to time during routine maintenance will probably be the only thing you'll ever need to do. If it really bothers you a bit of re-weld can cover it up but that's probably over-kill.
Enjoy it!

ww321q
10-25-2014, 09:50
Some of the companies had a hard time drilling that hole early in the manufacturing process till they got the right equipment. I'm sure some are really thin to start with. This is Winchesters fix till they got it squared away
http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/573/10394922/bb.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

Sunray
10-26-2014, 11:47
I'd be more concerned with the rusted bolt. The return spring tube just holds it there. Doesn't affect the operation.