PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 520-30 questions

bampa
10-20-2014, 05:33
I picked up a rather salty Stevens 520-30 (former) trench gun for a very good price at a show recently. From my limited knowledge and some help from a reference book and the Internet, I think it is legitimate, but it is missing the heat shield/bayonet adaptor. Also, the rear swivel appears to be from an M1903 rifle, from what I can tell.

I'm thinking that after military service it likely ended up with some state police because in addition to the military stamps it has an "MHP" stamp with a rack number. I think the "MHP" probably stands for the Minnesota Highway Patrol since I found the shotgun at a Minnesota show, but I'm not sure.

It appears to have the original brushed blue finish — or what's left of the finish. The buttstock matches, but I can't get the barrel separated from the receiver in order to check the barrel number. I can't turn the magazine tube at all. I've had some penetrating oil on the parts that should release, but so far it just won't turn, and I don't want to force it. It looks like it hasn't been disassembled in a very long time.

I have a couple of questions: Any ideas on how to get that magazine tube to turn? Also — and I realize this is probably futile to even ask about — but any ideas on finding a shield/bayonet adaptor for it? Or at least a correct rear swivel, if the one on it isn't right?

Thanks in advance for any replies....

bampa
10-20-2014, 05:34
Here are a couple more photos:

Steve Preston
10-20-2014, 07:18
Hi bampa. It is "salty" looking, but it does has that "been there, done that" look to it, which is fine. The rear sling swivel is just like a 1903-A3 sling swivel, so find one of those that is not "R" marked for Remington and you will be in good shape. I have a correct original finish Stevens heatshield with the plum colored bayonet lug that I would sell you. If you will PM me with your e-mail address, I will send you photos and price. I have a couple to choose from.

Try using some Kroil penetrating oil on the threads of your magazine tube and then get something that you can grab the magazine tube with (Gently so it doesn't crush!) and try working it back and forth until you can get it to loosen up. It should move with a little effort.

Good luck with your project.

bampa
10-20-2014, 07:30
Hi bampa. It is "salty" looking, but it does has that "been there, done that" look to it, which is fine. The rear sling swivel is just like a 1903-A3 sling swivel, so find one of those that is not "R" marked for Remington and you will be in good shape. I have a correct original finish Stevens heatshield with the plum colored bayonet lug that I would sell you. If you will PM me with your e-mail address, I will send you photos and price. I have a couple to choose from.

Try using some Kroil penetrating oil on the threads of your magazine tube and then get something that you can grab the magazine tube with (Gently so it doesn't crush!) and try working it back and forth until you can get it to loosen up. It should move with a little effort.

Good luck with your project.

Steve, thanks much for the response. I am very interested in one of the Stevens heatshields you mentioned, but I can't PM you — I get an error message saying your box is full. I will try resending the message later....

scosgt
10-20-2014, 09:05
The swivel looks OK to me.

To turn the tube, use a leather belt. Wrap it around the tube and you should be able to apply some leverage to get the tube to turn.

jeep
10-21-2014, 11:13
There is a real stevens riot hand guard with S stamp and plum color bayonet mount on gunbroker today the 10-21-14, http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=448288962 Like all gunbroker you could offer less,Maybe $500??

jeep
10-21-2014, 11:15
With the guard you would have a $2500-3000 shotgun.

Tom Doniphon
10-21-2014, 01:32
The gun is too early for an S marked bayo adaptor.

Steve Preston
10-21-2014, 08:53
Sorry bampa. Cleared my inbox and sent you a pm also.

Steve

bampa
10-22-2014, 04:40
Sorry bampa. Cleared my inbox and sent you a pm also.

Steve

Thanks for the update. I responded to your PM....