PDA

View Full Version : SRS Check and your opinions please

Craig from kazoo
10-18-2014, 12:20
Could I please get an SRS check on my M1 Garand s/n 2,513,860.

I know it's not anything collectable, but I'm curious if I could find perhaps the unit or org it was assigned to before it it probably sat in a Greek rack for decades. If doesn't have the black finish like my '03 Greek return and the new barrel (1951 I believe) is in great shape.

Thanks, and I'll try to insert the data sheet I've been working on.

http://www.jouster.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28894

10-18-2014, 07:52
Couple of things on the Data Sheet. Under Gas Cylinder - Lock not Plug, Rear Sight - enter the markings (manufacturers initials) found on the windage and Elevation knobs such as DRC, NHC . "chamber bright" is asking if the barrel has been refinished and has parkerizing on the face of the chamber. It could be "dull" but still be "in the white" ( no finish). BOLT - include heat lot #, firing pin - LATE would do. LOCK SCREW - Poppet type or single slot and any markings such as a P or O. Measure the Front sight ear width at the top. Follower Rod - looking for type, like "heavy round body, forged and milled", or stamped and riveted, long fork or short fork.
I would note "CMP Greek return" under remarks not under "Rifle Type", but only if I knew that for sure. Nice drawing of the op rod but as 65 indicates a late rod they are all marked in the same area and have the relief cut.
Pick up copies of Scott Duffs books on the M1 Garand of WW2 and his book on Post War Garands. Should get them at a reasonable price on Amazon. Will help a lot in filling out data sheets.
The chances of finding out what units may have had that rifle and at what period of time is about 0 to none. At best an SRS listing would only say something like " 251xxxx 040554 co D 364th INF (lost)" OR "385xxxx 052654 Co A 30th Inf (blew up)". SRS only tells you of one incident involving a rifle not its history. It may show a group of NM rifles shipped to the Army Marksmanship Unit on a certain date but what becomes of the rifles over the next 20 years, who knows.

Craig from kazoo
10-19-2014, 06:47
Sure appreciate the time you've taken to review my data sheet 2111. This is the first time I've really disassembled the rifle past field stripping it. And honestly I'm just learning the nomenclature and how it goes back together. I'll seek out Scott Duff's book, it sounds interesting.

I'll try to get some pictures posted (I always like pictures) lol.

Thanks again,

Craig

Craig from kazoo
10-19-2014, 09:40
For those of us that like pictures, my CMP Greek Return...

http://www.jouster.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28911

http://www.jouster.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28912

http://www.jouster.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28913

http://www.jouster.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28910

http://www.jouster.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28908

And some marking on the barrel, I Think the T is for target, but I'm clueless on the I and U.

http://www.jouster.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28915

Thanks for looks,

Craig

OD#3
10-25-2014, 12:24
Thanks for the pics! That's a beautiful rifle! I"d have been tickled pink to have received such a nice one back when I was buying them 10-15 years ago from the CMP. What a great stock!

Craig from kazoo
10-25-2014, 01:26
Thanks OD#3! I was pretty geeked. I've bought five from the CMP and have been pretty fortunate. They're all a mix of manufacturers, but I'm okay with that.

I enjoy removing the cosmoline and cleaning them up, slowly revealing what's really underneath. Kind of a cleaning and bonding process lol.

Craig

dryheat
10-25-2014, 05:08
And me being a big fan of arsenal rebuilds...look on the right receiver leg for some kind of electro-pencil scrawling. That's a wartime receiver with some postwar trigger parts and oprod. The even grey repark kind of jumps out at me. Of course,only sixties rebuilds got marked as such. But the Open Box(good attention to detail)SA stamp is a rebuild mark I believe. T stands for "target(or targeted)" and oftentimes there is a P for "proofed". I've seen the I and U before also but don't know what they mean,inspector stamps of some sort. Very nice.

I'm not clear on the lock or plug part(the breakdown). There's the gas cylinder. The gas cylinder nut. And the gas cylinder plug. The form is a little ambiguous.

Craig from kazoo
10-26-2014, 07:55
I'll disassemble and take another look, I don't remember seeing any electro pencil but I'll double check. If a never take that rear hand guard off again it'll be to soon though lol. The rest was pretty straight forward with the step by step from the CMP.

When I got it the front sight favored the right side, as did the rear sight which I find confusing. So I centered both sights and elevated 8 clicks (I think I just tapped into a thread that recommended 8). Hope to get it to the range today and get a good 100 yard zero.

Sure appreciate your response dryheat.

Craig

tbone69
10-27-2014, 08:22
11-13 up will get you 200 yds ballpark

StockDoc
10-28-2014, 11:48
what tipped you that it was a Greek Return?

Great eye for detail!

Dan Shapiro
10-28-2014, 04:30
OMG! And I thought Rick the Librarian couldn't be beat with his Afgan as a background!

Craig from kazoo
10-28-2014, 04:43
Hi StockDoc, that's what I bought from the CMP, and what the invoice specified: "R004SA M1 Garand Springfield, Service Grade, Greek Issue". I'm quick to grasp the obvious lol.

Haha yeah I've been seeing Rick the Librarian harassed for quite some time. I picked it up on Bagram in 2010.

Thanks,

Craig

10-28-2014, 05:47
I'm not clear on the lock or plug part(the breakdown). There's the gas cylinder. The gas cylinder nut. And the gas cylinder plug. The form is a little ambiguous.

The term "plug" is used when referring to the gas system of a "Gas Trap" M1. It was the removable false muzzle that fitted into the end of the gas cylinder and deflected the muzzle gas into the open front of the cylinder. When the gas system was redesigned the "plug" was eliminated in favor of a "Gas Cylinder LOCK" and the "Gas Cylinder LOCK SCREW". This is why both terms "Plug and Screw" appear on the GCA Data Sheet.

I just pulled out Scott Duffs WW2 book and see that on page 168 under "40. Screw, Gas Cylinder Lock" he states "The gas cylinder lock screw (drawing number B147428) replaced the Gas Trap rifle's Gas Cylinder Plug (drawing number B8876). Also on page 196 through 200 you will find a data sheets of Gas Trap rifles in which the term "Gas Cylinder Plug" is used and on the data sheets for Gas Port Rifle's (Page 203 - 268) the term "Gas Cylinder Lock Screw" is used.

StockDoc
10-28-2014, 06:35
Craig, LOL, yep that would be kind of obvious, thanks. Really a nice rifle!!!!!!!!!!

dryheat
10-28-2014, 07:12
2111, thanks. I wasn't even thinking about gas trap stuff and meant screw instead of plug in the first place.